I'm niki99. My daughter has a processing disorder. Where can she get help with daily living? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I'm niki99. My daughter has a processing disorder. Where can she get help with daily living?

niki99 Member Posts: 1 Listener
My daughter has some sort of processing disorder. In a range of tests she performed at best 3 years behind her chronological age and in some cases 5 years plus. Carried out by clinical psychologist about 5 years ago.  She was always supported with normal classroom differentiation so no official diagnosis or disability registered. She is now 20 and really struggling with life. For example has ignored all contact with universal credit people for over 6 months as not in work as its just all too much for her. Does anybody have experience of registering a now adult with a chaperone, advocate or where I can go for help.we need something on her records that shows she needs support with adult activities


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,199 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    In relation to dwp you can call them and request to be her appointee but you need to show she doesn't have the capacity to handle her own claim. 

    As appointee you will handle all her claim and benefits 

    Has she claimed for any limited capability for work si she doesn't have to look for work? 

    Any further questions just ask 
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,412

    Scope community team

    edited April 2021
    Hi @niki99 and welcome to our community.

    I think it would be useful to revisit your GP to enquire about obtaining an official diagnosis and accessing more support.  If you describe the problems your daughter is facing in daily life, as you have done to us, then they will be able to refer you to the appropriate service for an assessment.  I wonder too if there's a small possibility that the tests carried out by the clinical psychologist before could have led to a diagnosis on record somewhere?  Maybe this is something to explore too, just on the off chance.

    In terms of getting an advocate, you can do this via contacting social services at your local council.  If you visit this NHS webpage, there is a link under the title 'How to get an advocate' that advises further. 

    You might also find it useful to request a needs assessment as this would allow your daughter to be assessed for help with services/aids and equipment such as:
    • equipment like a personal alarm
    • changes to your home
    • practical help from a paid carer
    Here's the government webpage that directs you to your local authority's application form to apply for a needs assessment.

    Just to mentioned, I've tweaked your title to help others spot it and see what it's about and I've moved the thread to our Housing and independent living category.  Good luck and please let us know how you both get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.