I am diabetic type 1. Should I reapply for PIP? I'm on middle rate at the moment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am diabetic type 1. Should I reapply for PIP? I'm on middle rate at the moment

Options
1984cathy
1984cathy Community member Posts: 29 Connected
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i have been diabetic  type 1 for over a year now,I am experiencing great pains in my feet and have difficulty walking my feet are always cold.I have been to my doctor and he prescribed  quinine tablets at night  ,have had these before and they do not work,it was not until i got home that have had these before,I have had two checks on my feet but the pulses are good so they say.I am due to go again in two weeks time for the same test.If the pain is so bad then why are they not trying other tests.I am told that this is all duu to my typei ,My  big toes are the mail culprit of this pain with blisters at the ends of both toes and have burst .I cannot wear shoes and have reverted to open sandals but the pain is so bad. i go to bed at night with stone cold feet take medication but still no relief.i have been in touch with the PIP but they just note it on computer end of matter. i told them also about my passing out on numerous occasions in my home ,I told them that diabetes type 1 is an illness act2021,Shold i reapply for PIP i am on middle rate at the moment

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 
    From my experience of being diabetic for over 30 years I suffer with this too 

We can't give medical advice as we are not trained but I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and take medication  which helps 

As for PIP it depends if your daily living has been significantly made worse since your last assessment 

Diabetes is an illness but some people live and manage with no impact on daily life apart from medication so would not be eligible.  However others have side effects that affect daily life 

I would suggest you get some advice from welfare rights before reporting a change as it will trigger a new assessment 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.