PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can you use previous PIP/Tribunal Award as evidence?

PIPnewbiePIPnewbie Member Posts: 268 Pioneering
Just helping my partner fill out her application for PIP as her award is coming to an end.

The tribunal awarded her enhanced mobility (previously no mobility award) on top of standard daily living because the DWP “grossly underestimated the psychological impact of her condition when going out”.

I was just wondering can a copy of this be used to show proof of needing someone with her to travel?

I have a feeling the DWP will just expect this to have magically changed now she’s reapplying.

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,787 Disability Gamechanger
    Always treat a renewal the same as you would a new application, any relevant evidence is good.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,252 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You can send whatever evidence you like but less is more and should be relevant.  If it evidences how her condition affects her mobility 

Also you are told to only send in new evidence I would presume they all ready have the tribunal report 

But the decision is entirely yours 
  • PIPnewbiePIPnewbie Member Posts: 268 Pioneering
    Thanks for the replies guys.

@janer1967 so is there any point in sending in proof of her Crohn’s and any of the evidence used the first time around since they will already have it?
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,252 Disability Gamechanger
    If is only my opinion  and others may disagree but I am sure the instructions tell you to only send new evidence? 

It is what I did for my last review . I had new prescription list and letter from consultant to confirm treatment and my loss of sight in one eye as this was new condition since last review 

That is all I sent off 

Concentrate more on your form completion and even if no change in condition still explain how your partner is affected against each relevant descriptor 

Give real examples of what happens for each task 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,998 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to treat this as a new claim and submit all relevant evidence. Your claim will not be linked to previous claims so you cannot assume they will have anything. 

Proof of a diagnosis is rarely needed as it’s unlikely to be in dispute. There is no requirement or even suggestion to only send in new evidence. Relevant evidence is what’s needed. 

By all means submit a previous tribunal decision but as you won you won’t have requested a statement of reasons so your decision will be the summary decision and largely based on a template. It will be of limited use indeed and frankly if you view something like that as important then your claim is in trouble from the off. Better to focus on the basics of a new claim. See https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/56365/pip-form-filling#latest
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,229

Scope community team

I hope the replies on this thread have been useful for you @PIPnewbie :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • PIPnewbiePIPnewbie Member Posts: 268 Pioneering
    @mikehughescq wow, thank you for the link. I’ve copied it all down. That’s some solid advice.

I never knew your own personal testimony would trump medical evidence as obviously the former can be embellished whereas the latter from professionals can’t.

@Ross_Scope yes indeed. Everyone’s been a great help but Mike’s thread was golden!
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,998 Disability Gamechanger
    Number 7 is of course out of date as all claims now get 3 months to return the PIP 2/AR 1 form. The joy of pandemics.
Sign in or join us to comment.