Would you like to be a journalist? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would you like to be a journalist?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
edited April 2021 in Research and opportunities

What is the Academy for Disabled Journalists?

Ability Today is very proud to be launching the second year of their Academy for Disabled Journalists (ADJ), in partnership with the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ).

In 2020, despite coronavirus, they managed to recruit and facilitate students from across the UK to study online for the Certificate in Foundation Journalism (CFJ) with support and funding from the National Lottery’s Community Fund. This was all delivered in a fully inclusive and accessible environment. 

They are now looking for the next cohort of disabled students to join this year’s Academy, starting in May 2021. Here's a short promo video:

https://youtu.be/OVWZox_fUaE

What's it like to be part of the Academy?

Victoria Scholes, ADJ student

Ability Today have been so supportive of my needs and studying in a group of people who understood me helped me to succeed. If you too are interested in journalism and have a disability, contact Ability Today, they will give you the tools and support to achieve your goals.

Lisa Kavaney, ADJ student

The Academy for Disabled Journalists has been incredibly supportive in helping me work towards my Certificate in Foundation Journalism. They have been by my side every step of the way. Journalism is still a very London centric industry and without the opportunity and support that the ADJ has given me, I would never have been able to follow my dreams. University and on the job training are just not accessible enough for me. With the ADJ I can study in small bite-size chunks propped up in bed as and when my health allows. The ADJ is absolutely groundbreaking for disabled people who want to become journalists, there is no other training out there remotely close in terms of quality of support and accessibility.

Hannah Deakin (@hdeakin), ADJ student

The ADJ (Academy for Disabled Journalists) means a lot to me. Especially during the first lockdown and when activities were very limited. It gave me a focus and a routine each week. Grant and the ADJ have been so supportive and helpful to each and every one of us, as well as asking if there is anything else they can do to enable us to achieve our goal of passing the Certificate Foundation in Journalism. I have learnt so much including skills to improve my writing and learnt things about blogging I was not aware of. I am particularly keen on this area as I write a blog.

How can you get involved? 

For more information on start date, course length, eligibility and costs, please visit Ability Today's website. You can get in touch with Ability Today by emailing them at info@abilitytoday.com.

They're looking for passionate individuals with an interest in a career in media or journalism, who may already be actively blogging or vlogging. You must also be in receipt of either PIP or DLA. 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds like an incredible opportunity! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Many years ago it was an ambition of mine to be a journalist, but I left school as soon as I could and started work, it's too late to do anything about it now, but that's life
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine, you could always do an occasional report for a local paper or parish magazine, probably without pay but it might scratch that itch so to speak. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    i'd be struck down by lightening if I offered to do work for the church  :) I did once help write a book about epilepsy a few years back which was actually published, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks (as the saying doesn't go)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I would do it but I am to old now 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to be a freelance music journalist back when there were weekly music papers. It’s a very different industry nowadays. Also worth saying that the site link above is one of the least accessible web sites I’ve come across in a while. Good preparation for the nonsense you’ll be on the end of in the industry.
    I'm quite interested in music journalism, was there a particular genre that you covered or was it a wide ranging thing?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • logie247
    logie247 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    I used to be a freelance music journalist back when there were weekly music papers. It’s a very different industry nowadays. Also worth saying that the site link above is one of the least accessible web sites I’ve come across in a while. Good preparation for the nonsense you’ll be on the end of in the industry.
    Hi Mike, thanks for your feedback on our website accessibility, we are currently in the process of rebuilding the site but this will take a while. Can I ask what issues you found? happy to discuss further if you have time.... grant@abilitytoday.com  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds really interesting but I would only want to do it to expand my knowledge . I am unable to work but I could do some freelance writing I suppose 

I don't blog or anything tho and don't think I would meet the criteria but I will have a look 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Just looked at website can't read anything it's so small writing and not letting me enlarge or anything 

Not a good start for visually impaired 
  • logie247
    logie247 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi there, we currently use a worpress plugin for accessibility which is on the top right of the page, did you use this?  Otherwise we have Speech Kit software to read articles to you.  Longer scale we are rebuilding the website from the ground up with some funding we have received but this will take a few months before it goes live.  Thank you for your feedback and please do continue
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    I would love to do journalism however I'm a tad old i think, 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi ya @Username_removed I don't write blogs, I write fiction,( which has took  back seat at moment, due to the house being decorated.) Was hoping to seek a publisher this year, still time. 
    I've always fancied journalism, but never followed it through.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    @Sandy_123 you’re not too old if you can write. Often just writing on your own blog and then posting on social media can trigger all sorts of weird and wonderful things happening. Even now I find random things I write get me asked to write to order.
    Definitely vouch for this!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Supernanma
    Supernanma Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    It sounds good, and I love writing but can't afford £199.00. Plus I own a tablet and can or print from it. I would like to tell real stories, not the rubbish that is written about Love Island, etc. Maybe I am too old to do this, I don't know? I can't apply anyway because of cost and the computer. Never mind. Good luck to all who apply. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Sandy_123 I said the same lol ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.