working on ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

working on ESA

wendykm Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am in the support group for ESA  and understand I can earn £140 pounds a week on top of this. I have copd so cant work contracted hours but do enjoy crating as and when I can with a view to selling on a facebook page or ebay. My weekly income would be different every week does anyone have any advice on this please. How would I keep records and notify ESA of earnings. Thanks.


  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    Welcome to the community @wendykm! It's good to have you with us. :)

    You're probably already aware, but as a general rule, you can't work whilst you are in receipt of ESA. However, there are some exceptions to this, and also some allowances when it comes to what is referred to as permitted work.

    So, from what you say, it sounds like the type of activity that you're intending doing with your craft work would fall into the following category. Is that right, do you think? 
    Permitted work includes:
    • Any work as long as you work for less than 16 hours a week (average) and do not earn more than £143.00 a week (the permitted work higher limit) and have completed a permitted work form and submitted it to your local Jobcentre.

    In which case, according to the Turn2Us website
    'Permitted work'
    ‘Permitted work’ is also allowed. In some cases, this can be any type of work and you can do this for an unlimited period of time but there are limitations on your earnings and hours. You must tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in advance if you want to do permitted work. You can do this by calling the ESA helpline on 0800 169 0310 or by downloading and filling in the Permitted Work Form. When you have completed the form, you can take it to your local Jobcentre.

    Hopefully, that's a helpful starting point for you? Let us know if you have any further questions based on that guidance. 
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.