UC coming off it as family supporting me now — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC coming off it as family supporting me now

Options
ladyredlips
ladyredlips Community member Posts: 5 Listener
we are currently receiving UC as a joint account, i also receive CA for caring for my husband, and he receives PIP for his mobility and daily living, we have a company of our own which we only keep open to enable the young lads working for us to earn a wage as they have young families. I am thinking of coming off UC now as I have to go and look after my mother due to stroke happening in the stem of the brain, my husband also has cancer, heart failure and AF, along with diabetic problems and respiratory problems. We have no savings, but I feel because the family have now said they are willing to support us, I feel I should come off UC as I will have an income from them for caring. I would need to know what to say to UC

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don’t have to explain yourself. You are under no obligation to claim UC. You simply need to tell them you wish to close your claim.

Whether or not that is appropriate while you are entitled is a matter for you to decide.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ladyredlips
    Options
    Thank you Calcotti, on my UC Journal they left a message for me saying "What change of circumstance are you looking to change. But I had already left a message saying I no longer wish to claim UC, so not sure when I look on the change of circumstances list, there is nothing to click on that says I just wish to cancel claiming the UC benefit, or should I just type I no longer wish to claim UC and could you cancel it for me, if I feel in the future that I need to reapply would they reopen the account, or would we have to start from fresh as the UC account was deleted off their data. Hard to find information on the Gov UC website, or is it just I am thick lol

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would just post a message saying that you no longer wish to claim.

I think you will still have access to the journal for six months and will have the option to do a rapid reclaim within that period. If so your assessment period would remain unchanged.

After six months I would expect you to have to do a completely new claim.

If you are entitled to claim you could continue to do so which reduces the amount of support your family need to provide. Clearly however that is your decision to make.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ladyredlips
    Options
    Thank you so very much for your support and assistance in this matter Calcotti, have a great day x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.