Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Access to work - support worker

Lizzygb Lizzygb Member Posts: 9 Courageous
edited April 21 in Employment and careers
I need to apply for Access to Work to pay for a support worker/PA - does anyone have any experience of this? How they assess you, what they deem necessary, What/when/how they pay, can I find my own PA (I already have one for personal care). Please help, causing a lot of stress!
Tagged:

Replies

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,229

Scope community team

Hello @Elizabeth Siân Gwilliam

Firstly, have you applied for Access to Work previously or is this your first time? 

I would suggest considering everything you might need to help you in your job, and not just the support worker. Such as technological adjustments, transport and working hours adjustments if any of these apply to you. You can find information here from Scope which includes the sorts of things you can get from Access to Work

Regarding the support workers, if you and your employer agree that getting one would help you, you should convey this to the Access to Work team when you apply and then when you have your assessment. Ultimately, your ATW assessor will have the final say on what support you receive but in my experience they are welcoming to your suggestions and ideas, after all you know best what will help you.

I've never had a support worker myself but I know many people who have, and judging from what they've been through ATW will ask for 3 different quotes from providers of support workers, and will then choose one to go with, they'll normally decide based on cost. ATW Solutions are a popular support worker provider that I've known people to use, and they promise to match whatever the lowest quote is that you receive elsewhere.

I'm not sure if Access to Work will allow an individual you know to be your support worker, or if it has to be somebody from a licenced provider, so that's something you'll need to query.
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 821 Pioneering
    You may want to read the staff guide for ATW on the gov website as this gives you a real insight into how they will look at your claim. 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,229

Scope community team

MarkN88 said:
    You may want to read the staff guide for ATW on the gov website as this gives you a real insight into how they will look at your claim. 
    Great suggestion! You can find that guide here @Elizabeth Siân Gwilliam
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.