Autism and your experience finding work as an adult — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism and your experience finding work as an adult

rubin16
rubin16 Community member Posts: 346 Pioneering
edited April 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi everyone, I have autism and was diagnosed a few years ago when I was 19. My question is finding work, I have found that if I ever mention I have autism I am completely looked over, and won't get a response from employers. But if I never say I have autism or don't disclose it, I get interviews and responses back quite alot. What are your experiences with this? and was it hard telling an employer you have autism? and surely this isn't right, is it?

Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Hello @rubinheath16

I'm sorry to hear you've had bad experiences in the past after you've shared having autism with prospective employers.  Employers have a legal obligation to support you and implement reasonable adjustments in the workplace so it would be disappointing and, importantly, discriminatory if they didn't progress your application on the basis of you being autistic.  Unfortunately, you aren't alone in having these experiences and if you take a look at some of our tagged Autism discussions you will see others have been through the same  :(

I know this must be discouraging if you are still job-hunting but please don't let it stop you being open.  Sharing that you have autism will allow employers to better understand you and your needs, while having to 'hide' a diagnosis in the long-term could be particularly challenging.  This Seeking Work guide by the National Autistic Society might be useful reading if you've not read it before.

In addition to this - Scope have a Support to Work team who provide free, online help for disabled people in England and Wales looking for paid work.  If this sounds like something you would be interested in and you:
    • are 16 years or over
    • are looking for a paid job
    • have internet, email and telephone or Skype access
    • live in England or Wales.
    Then give the service a look at and consider applying :)

All the best with your job hunting and please let us know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

You may get better results from applying to employers that are part if the disability two ticks scheme 

They guarantee an interview to disabled who meet the min requirements for the role 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.