Can you get a ramp on a shared entrance? (e.g. if there are 1 or 2 steps) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you get a ramp on a shared entrance? (e.g. if there are 1 or 2 steps)

Options
Snowbelle
Snowbelle Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
edited November 2021 in Housing and independent living
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me.  I need to find somewhere to live that I can get a wheelchair in & out of.
I have just spotted an apartment that has 1 step on its entrance (which is shared with 1 other apartment).  

Does anyone know whether if the entrance is shared, is it possible to put a ramp on it?  
Is it dependent on getting permission from the other resident(s) or management company or both, or something else?  
(the walkway that the step is at the end of is just about wide enough for the ramp, so it would mean the other resident(s) would also need to walk up the ramp if one was placed there).

It's so hard to find accessible accommodation!  If it's accessible inside & in the right location, it would seem such a shame for a single step to get in the way!)

Thanks,

Snowbelle
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi is it rented accommodation? if so your first port of call will be the landlord, if its social housing (council/housing associate.) then they would have to give permission.
    Does it have to be a permanent ramp or could you manage with a temp one?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Snowbelle
    Snowbelle Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks @woodbine.  It’s private buying.  

(Although also looking at private rented as I only have 2 months before I need to move, so same issue may come up with private rented.  
    It looks unlikely that a social housing property would become available quick enough, although that would be most likely to meet my needs if it was available). 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Private flats usually have some sort of management and they would be able to advise, but I'm afraid it's unlikely they would agree to a ramp if other residents would have to walk up and down it, then it could pose issues with insurance and other issues.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Curt
    Curt Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I hope this has been sorted. Rapid Ramp maybe able to advise otherwise - https://www.rapidramp.co.uk/

They do a semi-permanent ramp that can be removed once no longer needed at a property. Might be an idea if renting.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.