Scope calls out Government on unlawful decision to exclude disabled fans from pilot mass events — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scope calls out Government on unlawful decision to exclude disabled fans from pilot mass events

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
BBC: Clinically vulnerable spectators allowed to attend sport pilot events after guidance change
Guidance which effectively banned clinically extremely vulnerable people from attending events piloting the safe return of spectators has been reversed.

Clinically vulnerable people, or those living with them, were previously excluded on public health grounds.
The government's events research programme (ERP) guidelines still strongly urge caution for extremely vulnerable people attending but says they should not be excluded.

"It's good news that the government has seen sense and changed its approach to the inclusion of disabled people at its pilot mass events," said James Taylor, executive director of strategy, impact and social change at disability equality charity Scope.

"The decision to effectively 'ban' disabled people from attending these events was called out by Scope and others as unlawful.

"We hope event organisers will now follow this updated guidance and make sure nobody is unfairly excluded."

We're glad to see that the Government has seen sense and changed its approach - and hope event organisers follow this updated guidance moving forward. What do you think?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good decision everyone should be entitled to make their own decision about attending rather than  be excluded 

Good work scope 

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I think that it's good that it's allowed now but I think only in my opinion that people will decide wether they should or shouldn't attend 

Me  personally  I am still afraid of being around to  many people my job I have taken now I will be working on my own and serving people through the hatch there are screens to protect me and still wear a face mask  I couldn't  attend a football match or a large event but that is just my choice 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.