Looking for some advice for my son — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Looking for some advice for my son

mummyto3boys Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I hope I've come to the right place. I have had my concerns with my son Isaac for a few years, he is 7.5 years now. I have been to the GP, his school, school nurse etc and I feel no one is listening to my concerns.

Isaac is really good at school, follows the rules, quiet, plays nicely etc but once he gets home from school he wants to be alone, he has meltdowns, gets very upset or angry and the smallest things can set him off.  For an example he knocked something off the table and then was asked to pick it up this resulted in him becoming very upset and sobbing. His school have spoke to him recently about emotions and it has come to light he doesn't have much understanding of the different emotions. He also doesn't like loud sounds or music (unless it's very quiet) if his brothers shout he leaves the room and either cries or gets angry and then seeks comfort from me, his school teacher has mentioned that he struggles with lining up with the class and sits at her desk until they are ready to go. He often says the classroom gets too noisy. There's other little things too. 

I hope I have made some sense, a friend recommended finding a forum to ask for some advice. Thank ?


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,342 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    I'm no expert but maybe get in touch with his old health visitor or children's services 

    Also start to keep a diary of each day and anything that concerns you this may help your gp take notice 

    Does his school have any sen teachers who may be able to advise 
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,414

    Scope community team

    Hi @mummyto3boys and a warm welcome to our community.  It does help talking about these things with other people and I hope our virtual corner of the internet can offer you some support.

    From the things you mention, I can understand why still have concerns about your son and I'm sorry to hear you've had no luck speaking with your GP, the school and school nurse.  Is this something you've brought up on a few occasions with them?  Have you liaised with the SENco about it?

    According to this NHS guidance on getting/exploring an autism diagnosis, the first steps are:
    If you or your child have signs of autism, the next step is to talk to someone about it.
    You could speak to:
    • a GP
    • a health visitor (for children under 5)
    • any other health professional you or your child see, such as another doctor or therapist
    • special educational needs (SENCO) staff at your child's school
    Ask them if they think it's a good idea to refer you for an autism assessment.
    An assessment is done by autism specialists. It's the only way to find out if you or your child are autistic.
    Therefore, I'd really recommend persisting in speaking with your GP/SENco about being referred for an assessment.

    But if you still come up against resistance, I'd recommend contacting the National Autistic Society helpline on 0808 800 4104 and they can give you advice about your options.  Unfortunately, this helpline is shutting on 19 May 2021 though so best to speak with them sooner rather than later.  One other thing to consider might be asking for a second opinion from a different GP too.

    Please let us know how you get on and wishing you and your family all the best.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.