Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
tax advice please on lump sum
hi, we are trying to work out our finances. My wife who will be 65 in august will be receiving a lump sum pension of £6,000 in august. She works and comes out with £770 every four weeks. i do not work as i receive full pip for both and unable to work. i have just checked on the tax calculator and it says when my wife receives her lump sum she will have to pay £1,400 tax on it. can i confirm that is correct, and also can i ask, if they will take it in one go from her pension pot or will they take it each month from her wage. at the moment she does not pay tax due to how little she earns. will this lump sum also affect her receiving the carers element on universal credit. any advice would be great, as we are trying to plan for the future.
- 49.4K All Categories
- 9.8K Start here and say hello!
- 4.1K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 136 Community updates
- 11.5K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 660 Work and employment
- 527 Education
- 970 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 927 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 245 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 249 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.5K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.5K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.6K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 588 Chronic pain and pain management
- 650 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 704 Autism and neurodiversity
- 848 Mental health and wellbeing
- 287 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.