Work Capabilities process — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work Capabilities process

Sheree_8
Sheree_8 Community member Posts: 80 Courageous
Hi. This is my first post on here and looking for advice, I am in process of the work capabilities.  I sent off the forms with supported information, from my Respiratory Nurse, Respiratory Consultant, GP and also Occupational Therapy, whom assessed me for Medical priority for my Housing Application process, to enable me to bid on properties with a medical priority. 

I wanted to know/advice of how long the process took for some, and if payment back dated etc, I was advised by job centre due to the my Heath conditions ie Kytho-scoliosis and Respiratory 2 failure, to go for the work capabilities route. My fit note was back dated to December and runs to mid June. Could someone please advise me. 
Sheree

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hj there and welcome 

After you have sent in forms the next stage is an assessment It can take a few months to get an appointment for this 

The report then goes to dwp decision maker and they will decide on the outcome 

If you are awarded either fit for work or lcw there is no additional payment 

If you are awarded lcwra there is an additional payment thus is backdated to when you reported the condition but then the 3 month waiting period is applied 

So payment is from the 4th month after you reported the condition  

Hope this helps just ask if any further questions 
  • Sheree_8
    Thank you ever so much. I appreciate your help. I am a bit anxious over the process.  Especially with any possible apts/interviews, I get anxious/anxiety.

I reported my health conditions with the NIV treatment when I applied for UC in December 2020.

Just curious, as to why there is a 3 month waiting period once qualified for lcwra?!? 
    Sheree
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Sheree_8 said: Just curious, as to why there is a 3 month waiting period once qualified for lcwra?!? 
    Because that's what the law says. It has been the same with ESA for many years.
    The waiting period is from the time the health condition was notified.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sheree_8
    @calcotti Thank you. Am not on ESA so I don't know. And am new to UC. 
    Sheree
  • Sheree_8
    @janer1967 Thank you. Please see first reply. I forgot to tag you in... 
    Sheree
  • janer1967
    Your welcome mo problem 

Most assessments are done over phone now but they are starting to do f2f as well now but fingers crossed for you 

Let us know how you get on 

Do you get pip ? Or have you looked into it if not 
  • Sheree_8
    @janer1967 Thank you. Yes I do get PIP, I transferred over from DLA,  though wasn't straight forward, as during the process and f2f interview, I got turned down for both, it was a stressful time and thought I was going to loose my mobility car. I put in for a while reconsideration, and was successful for only the Mobility at high rate, under DLA I had both, but only for Middle rate of Living, and High for Mobility. 
    Sheree
  • Sheree_8
    @janer1967 please ignore *while  before reconsideration, a typo error x
    Sheree
  • janer1967
    No problem 

You may get daily living at your next review 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.