Am I eligible to stop working because I am on benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I eligible to stop working because I am on benefit?

Alhusseni
Alhusseni Community member Posts: 14 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Am I eligible to stop working because I am on benefit?.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If you get a Fit Note from your GP confirming that you have a health condition limiting your ability to work you can claim new style ESA and/or Universal credit depending on your circumstances. If you use a benefits calculator you will get an idea of what you might get.

(Note to moderators - I don't think this is meant to be a poll!)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alhusseni
    Thank you for the response however I already have Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for both daily living amount and mobility amount so why do I need evidence from my GP. It doesn't make sense. My question is if someone has PIP, should he/she work? Thank you.
  • Alhusseni
    edited May 2021
    I have PIP and I have daily living amount and a mobility amount (both are standard). My question is am I eligible to work because I am suffering a lot of pain on my back, as well as not being able to walk properly. Right now, I am continuing to work at my job but can I stop because I am on benefit. Please let me know as soon as possible.

Yours truly,
    (removed by moderator - personal details not allowed on the community)
  • Alhusseni
    Thank you for your response. I know everyone can claim PIP if he/she is working or not because this won't effect their benefit. My question is that I am working now for 24hrs and I get benefit from Universal Credit and from the PIP but if I stopped working at my job because of my illness, does the Universal Credit cut my benefit or not?
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Hi @Alhusseni

I just wanted to give you a quick update about your post.

You'll notice that we've altered a couple of things, including changing it from a poll to a discussion, and removing your personal details, as per the community house rules.

In the process, it seems that the system has swapped the order of some of your posts and the replies. Hopefully, the result is still helpful to you though? 

Any questions, please do let us know.
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

It is up to you if you stop working 

If you stop for medical reasons you can still claim benefits 

If on uc you will be expected to look for work unless you report a medical condition and provide fit notes 
    You will then be sent a uc50 form and have an assessment to determine if you are fit for work or limited capability to work 

This had nothing to do with pip it is different criteria 

Of you may be able to claim new style esa if you have paid enough ni again this will involve a work capability assessment and fit notes 

Hope this helps 

• Alhusseni
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If you give up work without good reason and then claim UC you can be sanctioned. Giving up work because of a health problem is a good reason but you need the Fit Note from your GP initially to evidence the problem. Being in receipt of PIP is not evidence of a problem that limits your ability to work.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.