ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


APenny Member Posts: 8 Connected
Please  everybody l wondered is it possible to get ESA when you are a pensioner because  I would proberly need help with my rent etc Thanks
                         Regards Alan Pen


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,199 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    Unfortunately not esa is a benefit for working age claimants 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 5,304 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are a pensioner and need help with rent you should apply for Housing Benefit from your local authority.

    If your income is low you may be able to claim Pension Credit.

    The above two answers apply assuming you are not living with a partner who is below pension age. If you are you would need to claim Universal Credit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • APenny
    APenny Member Posts: 8 Connected
    okay thanks a lot for that !!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.