Hi, my name is minard46! I've separated from my husband. Can I take his name off my ESA claim? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is minard46! I've separated from my husband. Can I take his name off my ESA claim?

2»

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    minard46 said: I could wait for 2 weeks but...
    I wasn't suggesting you wait two weeks. I was suggesting you ring them as soon as you can see the next payment has come in tomorrow.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    minard46 said:
    I could wait for 2 weeks but my husband wants to go job centre today to do a change of circumstances knowing that I’m going to get paid my esa tomorrow he is making things complicated for me so I want get no esa that’s the truth if the matter he have been in control of my money for nearly 10 years as he have had my on line banking on his phone I have been to the bank and changed all my details so only I have access to my money now and going to open a new account with the bank 
    Hi @minard46

I hope the replies received have helped reassure you there's nothing to be worried about in reporting your change of circumstances to the DWP.  

I'm sorry to hear your ex-partner had such control of your money while you were together.  Was this something you ever reported?  Also, does he still have access to any more of your finances?  You absolutely did the right thing in changing your bank details and I hope that when he leaves your home, you will be much happier.  

If you want to get further advice or go over what happened with your ex-partner, then I'd highly recommend getting in touch with Refuge.  They have a 24 hour free national helpline which you can ring on 0808 2000 247 and this Refuge webpage goes over what to do when someone who has abused you (including financially) leaves.  

I'm going to email you to talk over some more of this in detail but please let us know how you get on and good luck.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • minard46
    minard46 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Thank you so much I have all my bank details now and going to wait till I get paid my esa tomorrow and take his name of my claim and got some lady from the bank helping me to set up anew bank account as he knew all my details and took control with all my money such as paying bills and what ever I’m not being controlled any more I dint think he can’t except our marriage is over it’s veen long over due for me many thanks for your help if I need help I know where to go fir help 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @minard46

I'm just checking in to see how you're keeping :)  Is everything going ok? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.