Ill-health retirement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ill-health retirement

Options
DisabledNHSworker
DisabledNHSworker Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I have worked in the NHS for 25 years and have paid into a pension throughout. I am quite a senior member of staff who also has a neuromuscular condition, and particularly over the lockdown, I have deteriorated to the point where I don't believe I can work any longer. How do I ascertain what I would receive if I was to go down the ill health retirement route?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Ill health retirementis a difficult one to claim as you will be taking your pension  early so usually needs to be authorised by medical panel all depends on conditions and criteria set by the pension provider 

Speak to your hr department and they will prob refer you to oh who will assess you and make recommendations on your future employment options and if I'll health retirement is viable 

• DisabledNHSworker
    DisabledNHSworker Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    thanks. I can't really speak to my HR Department as I'm too well-known in the organisation, I would just like to get an idea of what income I would have if I was to go down that route and it was approved.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Can you get in touch with the pension provider or maybe have a look on your pension documents 

Unfortunately pension are all different so we can't really comment as it all depends on what is in your pension pot and the payout criteria of the pension provider 

If they have a website you might find some info on there 

• Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2017-05/Ill%20health%20retirement%20tiers%20and%20FAQs%20%2805.2017%29%20V8.pdf

You may have already read this information but there is a lot of helpful information on the NHSBA website and armed with your annual pension statement it may give you the basics about the tier 1 and tier 2 options.

Hope it helps 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.