What essential maths & English should my brother know at 15 ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What essential maths & English should my brother know at 15 ?

Options
FriendlyBro
FriendlyBro Community member Posts: 8 Connected
edited May 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
I will give some context I am hes older brother in my 20s my younger brother goes to a special needs school. He was left behind in primary school due to how the system is. He now goes to a special needs school but i want to help him on the side every day for maybe 1 to 2 hours eventually for skills like Handling money, times tables, punctuation is there anything else or sauces you would recommend ?

Ps we were considering a tutor but with what is going on right now with covid this has delayed this for the foreseeable future
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @FriendlyBro :) It's great that you're wanting to help your brother out. I'm sorry that he got left behind in primary school but it's good to hear that he's getting more support now. Could you perhaps ask to speak to is teachers about what he's been learning about at school so that you can help to reinforce this at home?

Have you taken a look at BBC Bitesize? It can be a useful tool for getting the basics down. 

Many tutoring companies (and I'm sure individuals too) are offering remote services at the moment. This means that tutoring can take place via video call. Could that be a possibility for you?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • FriendlyBro
    Options
    Welcome to the community @FriendlyBro :) It's great that you're wanting to help your brother out. I'm sorry that he got left behind in primary school but it's good to hear that he's getting more support now. Could you perhaps ask to speak to is teachers about what he's been learning about at school so that you can help to reinforce this at home?

Have you taken a look at BBC Bitesize? It can be a useful tool for getting the basics down. 

Many tutoring companies (and I'm sure individuals too) are offering remote services at the moment. This means that tutoring can take place via video call. Could that be a possibility for you?
    Hi tori thank you for replying i have got into contact with the school they have forgotten the past 2 weeks to give him homework I do not think video calls would work he really struggled with the online classes at home. I will look into bbc bitesize I remember using that in school thank you for the advise.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

There are some really good books on amazon to help 

Just put in subject and school year you think your brother would best fit 

I had maths and English for my son in primary school as he was getting behind and found them really good 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh dear, that's no good about the homework @FriendlyBro. Did they explain how that might have happened, and what they're doing to ensure it doesn't happen aagin?

I used Bitesize at school too, which is why I thought of it :D I also remember finding the CGP revision books useful for certain subjects, so you might like to check those out too. You can usually buy them second hand. 

Another useful tool is YouTube of course. There are plenty of education videos on there. If you search for what you're looking for, I'm sure there'll be something! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • FriendlyBro
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

There are some really good books on amazon to help 

Just put in subject and school year you think your brother would best fit 

I had maths and English for my son in primary school as he was getting behind and found them really good 
    Hi janer thank you i will give that a look i did buy a few flash cards for him. I will buy some more the school is no help.
  • FriendlyBro
    Options
    Oh dear, that's no good about the homework @FriendlyBro. Did they explain how that might have happened, and what they're doing to ensure it doesn't happen aagin?

I used Bitesize at school too, which is why I thought of it :D I also remember finding the CGP revision books useful for certain subjects, so you might like to check those out too. You can usually buy them second hand. 

Another useful tool is YouTube of course. There are plenty of education videos on there. If you search for what you're looking for, I'm sure there'll be something! 
    My mother did explain them the issue but she has no energy to sit with him after work to do extra work the school just doesn't help. I will do it myself if when it gets better with covid i will pay for a tutor also. I did look into bbc bite size it looks good definitely something i will use for topics. And also CGP books i will give them a look thank you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.