Advice for dla to pip for my asd son — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Advice for dla to pip for my asd son

albert2014 Member Posts: 13 Connected
edited May 3 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am hoping I can be advised on how to best approach the dla to pip process for my asd/adhd son who has just turned 16.

I am his appointee and I signed some paperwork that puts me in control of his money. He is not in any fit state of mind to make any rational sensible thoughts let alone money decisions.
He has just had the ring us to discuss pip letter and apply. But the letter states he must be present and speak. He isn't good with talking, strangers or anything!!?
Just confused as how can a mentally disabled lad understand and answer strangers important questions?

Thank you in advance.


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,068 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 3
    I don’t know the answer. I suggest you ring the PIP new claims number and ask them. You may have to be re registered as his DWP appointee in which case DWP may want to visit to meet you both.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,351 Disability Gamechanger
    I might be an idea to ask for a home assessment (assuming they are starting to do them again) although you usually need a supporting letter from the GP for this.
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,532 Disability Gamechanger
    Goodness me people do like to over complicate. This is very simple. You make the call; explain who you are and what the issue is and what will likely happen if you put him on the phone. They will ask him to confirm once who he is and that he authorises you to talk on his behalf. You then talk on his behalf to start the claim. They will usually ask him to come on one more time to confirm all is well and…that’s it. 
  • albert2014
    albert2014 Member Posts: 13 Connected
    Thanks Mike. Yes I was already down as his speaker/appointee so they spoke to me. I have to wait for a form first to complete for him. Thanks again. Marty


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.