Advice for dla to pip for my asd son — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice for dla to pip for my asd son

albert2014
albert2014 Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi 
I am hoping I can be advised on how to best approach the dla to pip process for my asd/adhd son who has just turned 16.

I am his appointee and I signed some paperwork that puts me in control of his money. He is not in any fit state of mind to make any rational sensible thoughts let alone money decisions.
He has just had the ring us to discuss pip letter and apply. But the letter states he must be present and speak. He isn't good with talking, strangers or anything!!?
Just confused as how can a mentally disabled lad understand and answer strangers important questions?

Thank you in advance.
Marty
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    I don’t know the answer. I suggest you ring the PIP new claims number and ask them. You may have to be re registered as his DWP appointee in which case DWP may want to visit to meet you both.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I might be an idea to ask for a home assessment (assuming they are starting to do them again) although you usually need a supporting letter from the GP for this.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• albert2014
    albert2014 Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
    Thanks Mike. Yes I was already down as his speaker/appointee so they spoke to me. I have to wait for a form first to complete for him. Thanks again. Marty

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.