Hi I'm mlkins! I've been living with pain from crushed discs for many years. Looking for support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm mlkins! I've been living with pain from crushed discs for many years. Looking for support

Options
mlkins
mlkins Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I have suffered for many years now with my spine I have crushed discs and 2 discs out 1 in my neck and 1 at the bottom of my spine waiting for surgery. Came here for a little support x

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Sorry to hear about your pain 

It is a very supportive forum feel free to join in or ask any questions 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mlkins and a warm welcome to our community from me.  

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been experiencing with your spine and neck, that sounds really painful :(  Do you have a date for your surgery yet?  Also, how are you coping emotionally and practically?  Sorry for all the questions but I just want to check you're getting all the support you need.

We've love to be there for you as you go through this, so please do lean on us if you need anyone to talk to.  If you want to get to know our members a little better, then the coffee lounge is a good place for a light-hearted natter with them.  While you might find our different categories interesting to browse through too, and maybe the Physical impairments and mobility issues category in which other people with similar conditions have shared their stories.  

I hope you're having a nice Wednesday.  Speak soon and take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • mlkins
    Options
    Thank u for such a warming welcome .I'm finding things very hard at the moment pain is through the roof taking all the medication I can .emotionally very upset as been like this now for 10 years and things just don't get better .x
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @mlkins Aww blimey, I can understand after 10 years how you are feeling upset.  Sending you a big virtual hug from us  <3  Is your GP aware of how it's impacting you emotionally?  Also, have you ever been referred to a pain clinic?  

I know it's not easy living with chronic pain and you have our full empathy.  Does anything help ease it at all?  This NHS webpage has tips on how to reduce pain so maybe give them a little look at for different ideas too.  

I hope your op date isn't too far off and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • mlkins
    Options
    Yes my doctors knows but all they want to do is send me to a and e which last time I sat there for 11 hrs so no not keen on that I'm on morphine patch but been on the medication for so long does it work ? I've thought about joga but can't put any weight on them .I hope they hurry up and operate I've some hope that will help sorry for the long message x
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mlkins - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community.  :)  I've been there with morphine patches, & gradually came off them as I found they were no longer reducing my pain. I hope it's not too long until you hear about your surgery.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Welcome to the community @mlkins :) There's no need to apologise, you're more than welcome to vent and share your experiences here. 

I too hope that you hear about your surgery soon. 

It's understandable you wouldn't feel up to doing full-on yoga. Have you considered trying an adapted form of yoga, such as chair yoga? Would that be a little more manageable?

I've moved your post into our category for discussions relating to dealing with chronic pain, and renamed your post slightly, so that other members can find it more easily.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community sorry to hear about the pain your in I went to pain management which worked for me 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,893 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mlkins I sympathise with the pain you must be in,  hopefully your op won't be too long
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Welcome along @mlkins. It's lovely to have you with us :)

So sorry to hear about your difficulties. Have you had a read of some of our members suggestions? Would any of those work for you in trying to relieve your pain, do you think? At least while you're waiting to hear back about your operation, maybe? 

Hope you're not waiting too long. And do pop back to let us know how you're getting on in the meantime. :)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mlkins
    Options
    I have thought about chair yoga wasn't sure if I should wait till I've spoken with hospital now .as I do have other conditions I have ra as well as degenerative disc disease and narrowing of exiting on my nerves or something I get confused ? and now my feet and legs are hard work as I've done my heels in the muscle at the back which might have to be operated on that's my moan done .thank u everyone for ur lovely welcome x
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    It could be worth waiting to check about the chair yoga just in case @mlkins, as you wouldn't want to make anything worse as you say. Could you perhaps speak to your GP about that? 

How have you been getting on? 

• mlkins
    Options
    Still in alot of discomfort but dealing with it thought about ringing the hospital this just to see where I am on the list .thanks for asking x
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    It could be worth ringing @mlkins. How long have you been waiting? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.