Hi, my name is Gay2508! I was successful with my MR. Should my payments be backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Gay2508! I was successful with my MR. Should my payments be backdated?

Options
Gay2508
Gay2508 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello I am new to this site and all these DWP problems, but here  goes. I originally applied for pip in August 2020 and I heard nothing until the assessment, which was a telephone assessment due to covid and this was in November. I need to say at this point, I was already in receipt of full mobility which I had been awarded for life 20 + years ago. I received the decision in February stating that I had been refused as I was only awarded 6 points. I immediately asked for a mandatory reconsideration, and the result was I qualified for full help with care and awarded 10 points for mobility issues, so the points jumped from 6 up to 23, which I would have thought that this was a major increase that should have indicated that the original award was a total sham. There was no mention about any money being back dated to the claim date of August 2020, the length of time it has taken them to reach the decision has been through no fault of mine, they have all been delayed due to covid and people working from home etc.. I cannot understand how if the original decision was refused and just after a mandatory reconsideration was reconsidered and awarded it has not been back dated, but if I took it to appeal and won my case it would have been backdated to the date of claim

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

It should have been backdated to when your payments stopped for the previous award
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Gay2508 said:
    I originally applied for pip in August 2020 ... I need to say at this point, I was already in receipt of full mobility which I had been awarded for life 20 + years ago. 
    I'm not sure I understand these two statements. Was this a DLA to PIP transfer? If so, when did your DLA stop and what is the date your new PIP award has been started from? The new PIP award will not be backdated earlier than the date your DLA ended.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hi @Gay2508 :)

First of all, welcome to the community. It's good to have you with us.

Thanks for telling us a bit more about your circumstances. And it looks like you've already had some replies to your first post. Do those responses from janer1967 and calcotti answer your query about backdated payments? 

Drop us a line to let us know if that's helped to clarify the position for you. And if you have any other questions, then do let us know. We're happy to help and signpost you to any further information that you might need.

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Gay2508
    Gay2508 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Sorry I need to clarify. I had been on the old system DLA full mobility allowance for 20+ years and was awarded it for life. I applied for PIP in August 2020, as I had recently had a nervous breakdown and spent 5 months in a mental health hospital and was diagnosed with EUPD, mixed Anxiety & depression, I already have diabetes type 2, High blood pressure, postular hypotension and the original arthritis, I have had 3 hip replacements, degenerative discs in lower 4th & 5th discs and sacralilitus (I think thats how it is spelt). So when I applied in August for PIP it then meant that they would transfer the original DLA onto the PIP system. First of all they couldn't even locate any of my original claim for DLA 20 years ago, you would have thought that they would have a record of the application as they were still actually paying the claim, but none the mind. The NEW pip claim was made in August, I was telephone assessed in November and was told that as I only had 6 point total, I didnt qualify for neither component of PIP, if I had a mobility car (which I do) then mobility would be in contact with me to explain my options etc... I immediately asked for a mandatory reconsideration with a week, and they acknowledged receipt of it on the deadline day. (shock horror) two weeks later my husband received a call asking to speak to me (I was actually in video therapy with my psychologist) they merely wanted to ask me if I wanted to go ahead with the reconsideration as it was my husband who had filled out the additional information, a lengthy report  was also provided by my therapist and CPN. I said yes I wanted to proceed and two days later I received the award of the full care component and ten points towards mobility due to mental health issues, they failed to take in any information about mobility issue but once again none the mind. My first payment was made the day after receiving the letter ad I have had another payment since so I have had it four weeks now. I have had no further communication from them, nor from the motability explaining my options. My belief was that if awarded it then it would be backdated to the date the claim was made (In August) especially as the claims were taking extensively longer due to lockdown, but we were assured that we wouldn't lose out on any payments if the claim was awarded.  The points awarded between the initial decision 6 and the mandatory reconsideration 23 was to my mind a vast jump, that surely signifies the initial decision was definitely weighted to the DWP favour. I am just wanting to know should I recieve any money dating back to the date that I made the claim in August, as this amounts know to in excess of £2000 Any advice would be gratefully received Thankyou 

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Gay2508, hello and welcome, when you received the MR award notification letter of your new PIP award you should have had details of any money owing and dates stating when the money is owed from to the MR award date. Then what your new award payments are and how often they are paid and details of your new award length.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.