UC LCWRA - Starting part time work over 16 hours — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC LCWRA - Starting part time work over 16 hours

Options
littlemouse13
littlemouse13 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited May 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello there!
I am currently on UC and recieve LCWRA (i was previously on ESA and moving in with my partner who is on UC triggered the change to UC)
As my condition has become more manageable at times, I took the leap of starting a zero hour contract which gave me the opportunity to accept and decline shifts dependant on how I am on a day to day...week week to basis, usually way under 16 hours a week. This has helped me to push myself a little and gain confidence, and has not affected my payments.

I now have the possible opportunity to work fixed hours, 3 days per week, but this would be 24 hours work per week. Would this affect my UC LCWRA? I am confused as some places say I cannot work more than 16 hours or earn a certain amount of money, or my LCWRA will be affected.
I obviously want to take small steps to leave the LCWRA group that I have been placed in,as I worry that I may relapse and find the fixed commitment of work difficult and revert back to zero hour again. So will not acceot the offer if this is the case.

I am on UC LCWRA and recieve Housing Payments also. My partner lives with me and is on UC and unemployed currently.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    The ‘permitted work’ limit of less than 16 hours and less than £143/week is an ESA rule. It does not apply to UC.

You retain your LCWRA status until DWP determine that you no longer should be treated so. 

If the impact of your health on your ability to work has changed significantly you should inform DWP which will prompt a reassessment. However it makes sense to first see how you get on in case you find you are unable to sustain this level of activity. The fact you are working longer hours may of itself prompt a reassessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @littlemouse13 - unlike ESA (where you can work up to 16 hours, unless you're doing voluntary work or supported permitted work, & your earnings are less than £143 per week), you can work as many hours as you like with UC, tho the amount you receive may reduce. You have a 'work allowance' which is £293 a month when getting help with your housing costs.  Please see: https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-your-earnings-affect-your-payments    So, for every £1 you earn over £293, 63pence will be deducted from your UC (tho remember you will still have your wage). I hope this answers your question.
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Options
    So if you are on lcwra UC and housing benefit you are allowed to work a few hours and get the same amount of benefit money? Im confused as i thought i couldn't work at all otherwise i would lose all my benefits?????? 
  • littlemouse13
    Options
    @chiarieds @calcotti Thankyou both for the advice, I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I will think on it, I am considering it may be better to remain on a zero hour contract to be honest as I know that I have flexibility this way. All the best

• kami24
    Options
    Could i possibly work a few hours in a shop somewhere then if it helped my mental health or something??? Never knew this 
  • calcotti
    Options
    kami24 said:
    Could i possibly work a few hours in a shop somewhere then if it helped my mental health or something??? Never knew this 
    Yes.
    For ESA see
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet
    For UC you should just let them know through your UC journal.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kami24
    Options
    Thankyou calcotti for your prompt replies to posts etc
  • kami24
    Options
    Would you be kind of monitored and supported then if it's permitted work? I'd like to work but seems complicated and if I have to interact too much especially with a "supporter" then perhaps a big no no!! Is this the same if you are on lcwra and esa new style and uc?? 
  • calcotti
    Options
    kami24 said:
    Would you be kind of monitored and supported then if it's permitted work? I'd like to work but seems complicated and if I have to interact too much especially with a "supporter" then perhaps a big no no!! Is this the same if you are on lcwra and esa new style and uc?? 
    Ignore the bit about supported work. It’s a hangover from an older version of the rules. You can do any work but need to inform DWP as described. The link I posted about permitted work is only for ESA. For UC, as I said, you just let them know by posting in your journal.
  • kami24
    Options
    Surely they check whether people are genuine though if they are claiming LCWRA? And would you be supported in work on new style esa whilst employed?? 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    Options
    kami24 said:
    Surely they check whether people are genuine though if they are claiming LCWRA? And would you be supported in work on new style esa whilst employed?? 
    I don’t understand what you mean by checking if people are genuine or being supported in work.
  • littlemouse13
    Options
    Hey @kami24 I have been on LWCRA and UC for a while now, and I let them know when I started my zero hour contract job, and advised them that i was trying it as a means to dip my toe back into the world and see how I got on. They havent contacted me about it since and everything has been fine. When I started this I was worried that something would go wrong, but I have had a positive outcome and can decline shifts or accept them as I wish so it really works for my mental health issues. I wish you all the best.
  • kami24
    Options
    Thanks little mouse?????️??not sure which kind of work would be beneficial for my mental health really I'm looking into it though nothing too stressful. I had like 28 jobs in the past etc but personality disorder and social problems possibly autism so maybe just one day a week somewhere 
  • littlemouse13
    Options
    @kami24
    Yes, its important to find what fits. I discovered tht I prefer to work alone and in work tht keeps me moving about, which helps me with my mental wellbeing. Good luck for your future!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.