Do I need to make it clear during my telephone assessment what the award I want is? How? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need to make it clear during my telephone assessment what the award I want is? How?

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Community member Posts: 566 Pioneering
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Again, it's up to the claimant to tell the story. You can't just assume that because you have life-long degenerative condition that a 10 year award will follow. It's up to you to make the case. I have seen plenty of people in the early stages of COPD for example where a 1 year award was appropriate but others more advanced where 10 years was a better fit. You need to make it clear where you sit on and what exactlty the award you want is.  

Hi. I’ve copied and pasted the above (hope that’s allowed) I think it was Mike that wrote it. I’m always following his and others advice.
Do I need to make it clear during assessment what the award I want is (if I get anything, that is) How do I go about this? I mean how do I bring it up? Thanks

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    TBH I'm not sure you can or do bring it up during the assessment, you certainly do need to make the case for getting an award.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

It's not really for you to put to the assessor the length of award that is down to dm decide bases on evidence tho assessor will recommend a length 

I think it has a lot to do with condition and likelihood it  will change or improve or decline 

My 1st award was 2 years then 2nd was 5 years and will never improve I am a  amputee and visually impaired 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou for quick response @woodbine & @janer1967. My condition won’t ever improve either, which I’m sure the assessor should (hopefully) realise. 
  • saversam
    saversam Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Leigh, when I had my telephone assessment last week,  one of the last questions the assessor asked me was if I thought my condition would improve in the future,  to which I replied no. Which like you said the assessor realised this but possibly wanted me to confirm? I don't know,  but the topic was  brought up in mine, so hopefully it will in yours 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Hi @saversam, that’s good to know, and makes sense. Thankyou for replying.

How are you? Can you request the assessor’s report this week?
  • saversam
    Options
    Your very welcome.  Very well thank you, hope you are to? When is your assessment? Yes I can request my report this week, but don,t know if I want too! I,ve still got hope while I don,t know. If that makes sense!? Might just wait for the letter
  • Leigh14
    Options
    My assessment is Thursday morning, and I’m so anxious (like everyone else) about the whole thing. I’m trying to focus on those that have had good assessors, and good outcomes. It definitely is true that mostly we read about the not so good outcomes, rather than the ones that did well.
    I’d say I’m like you, with regards to waiting for a letter, but then again, I probably will ring a week after assessment. Have to let you know nearer the time on that one ?
  • saversam
    Options
    Very best of luck.?? Mine seemed to be over in a flash! I think it,s really important to focus on the positive,s and remember all the successes.  I think theres a few people that come on here, looking for advice, after they did,nt get pip, & they voiced there anger/frustration. Its easy to only remember the negitive posts that you read about. But there are lots of "wins" as well. And I  think we're in a better position,  because we came on here first, & gained valuable information before we had our assessment,s. So hopefully we,ll be in the "win" section! But if not we,ll deal with that to.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou @saversam. There is some great information on here, that’s for sure.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Leigh14 All the best for Thursday, we will be rooting for you.  If anything else crops into your mind before then that you're worried about, please do let us know  :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    I’m worried about the whole thing, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be back before Thursday with more questions??‍♀️??‍♀️
    I’m still going through paper stuff, and after reading comments on here, I now realise that I didn’t fill the actual PIP form in correctly! The daily living for instance, with my breathing problems, that affects how I prepare a meal, and I just didn’t specify on that at all, simply ticked the no boxes. Do you think I’ve messed it up by doing that @Cher_Scope? I’m sure the lovely mikehughes would be shaking his head at me lol.
    Thankyou for rooting for me ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Leigh14 Ahhh I've been there and get how nerve-wracking it can be  <3

Nope, I don't think you've messed it up, in-fact realising you forgot to mention something in your PIP form now is a good thing as you can make a note to tell the assessor on Thursday.  When you live with an impairment, it's easy to overlook the different ways they impact your everyday life because it becomes 'normal' so I'm sure you won't be the first or the last :) 

Try not to worry too much and take care of yourself.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    Options
    @Leigh14 two things to do before Thursday, assuming you copied your application go over it a few times to refresh your memory, and make notes of any points you really need to get across so you don't forget.
    Good luck

• Leigh14
    Options
    I took pics of it, but also written it out. I’ve also made notes and examples of some things. Haven’t finished yet, as I keep going over and over things! Sending myself crazy I think??‍♀️ I’ve given myself a day off today though as I was getting too stressed over it, but tomorrow I shall get it completed, and then read through it on Wednesday and probably again an hour or so before the assessment. I’m going to have ALL papers numbered in front of me, so I’ve got everything to hand. Thankyou @woodbine. I’ve certainly learned a lot from you all on here, and it really has helped.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thankyou mikehughe for your valued input, much appreciated. I shall see if I can find the up to date guidance and look through that.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Had to chuckle, I got something different too! Thankyou for putting the link up mikehughes.
    Thankyou to you also @calcotti.
    Would I say then that I believe that given my condition, I should get a recommendation of x award? If it’s a progressive disease, would that not automatically get me a longer reward? Sorry for all the questions. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Leigh is this your first award or a renewal? As suggested earlier awards can become longer following renewals.

• Leigh14
    Options
    Hi woodbine. This is first time of applying for PIP. I don’t seem to be understanding too much. Feel like my head is full of wool at the moment. Just want to get everything right for the assessment. This is worse than going to the dentist!
  • woodbine
    Options
    Leigh at least dentist knock you out first, my best advice is don't over think this, the assessment will just be someone on the phone asking you questions to which there are no right or wrong answers. Take your time answering and try and avoid yes and no answers when possible.
    Many people find that telephone assessments have been easier than face2face ones.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.