Can I get housing benefit for my grandparents? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I get housing benefit for my grandparents?

callumkelso
callumkelso Member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi can anyone clarify if I can get housing benefit for my grandparents as I live rent free and they own their own home I would happily let it be paid straight to them.

Kind regards
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,763 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Unfortunately not as housing benefit is for those renting if they own their own home there is no housing cost so no entitlement to housing benefit 

I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • callumkelso
    Hi again l, only I don't own the home its my grandparents so could I not claim on behalf of them asking me for rent?
  • janer1967
    You can only claim if you have a landlord and a tenancy agreement and living with relatives doesn't qualify 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • callumkelso
    Why does it say you may be able to claim of living with relatives on such grandparents on the government website?
  • janer1967
    I'm not certain of all the conditions but you don't pay rent and they have no housing costs so how would you be entitled 

Hope others can help if not get in touch with welfare rights 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,333 Disability Gamechanger
    First all - almost nobody can make a new claim for Housing Benefit because it has been replaced by Universal Credit.
    Whether or not you will have any entitlement to Universal Credit depends on your circumstances.
    If you are entitled to claim UC and live with your grandparents and pay them rent you could be entitled to help with the rent through the housing element of UC if DWP accept that it is a commercial arrangement. Given that you have not been paying rent up to now they are unlikely to accept this and would most likely see it as a contrived tenancy creating for the purpose of obtaining benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.