Cleaning wheelchair wheels before trailing dirt/dog poo inside — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cleaning wheelchair wheels before trailing dirt/dog poo inside

Options
Snowbelle
Snowbelle Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how others manage with cleaning dirt / dog poo from wheelchair wheels when coming back indoors?  

So far, I have been living in a house with an outdoor tap/garden-hose  & I have been able to use to wash off any dog poo before coming indoors.  If it's muddy & I haven't had the energy, I've been able to park the wheelchair just inside the door, where that part of the floor can be easily cleaned. 
But I'm about to move house & don't know whether I'll end up in an apartment with a communual entrance, or somewhere with no outdoor hose option & where I would need to take the wheelchair across a lot of floor before getting it somewhere it can be cleaned or parked.

Any tips for cleaning wheels if you have a shared entrance, or would be dirtying a lot of floor? (especially when energy is low).

Do you just carry an emergency pouch with gloves & baby wipes & nappy bags/dog poo bags.  Or is there another solution?

Thank you!   

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Snowbelle how you doing, you can purchase plastic covering that rolls over the carpet, floor, to protect that until you clean it, also there are long handled sponges on the market that would help you reach,. Also I've put a link below on a product that may be useful.
    https://www.claims.co.uk/engineering-for-access/engineering-for-access-2020-shortlist-ella-bray
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    This affects anyone with a rollator or wheelchair or  a pushchair or even crutches or a walking frame .   N.O.T. everyone owns a private house.  It's a real problem for thousands/millions who don't.   
    The O.P. puts it well; the physical and practical difficulty, plus the fact there is not always a suitable window of time and place and energy.   If you need to get in urgently for any reason, you have no option available to make a thorough cleaning operation of wheels, even if you do happen to be sufficiently fit and agile to bend into the contortions needed. 
    Even for those who do own a private house, with a suitable arrangement about the wheels, what happens if they go indoors anywhere else?   (Shops, services, other people's homes, or anywhere else).   Half the population chucks gum, cigarette ends and litter and ensures their dogs leave mess, then those who cannot leap nimbly over it all find they are taking it home.      .
  • Manda1
    Manda1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Excrement is a serious health hazard .
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Tbh I have been in a wheelchair for over 3 years now and never have I had dog pooh on my wheels 

Depends where you go I suppose 

I live in a bungalow so not shared entrance and have laminate flooring throughout so easy to clean if wheels are wet but i don't really go out unless weather is OK 

You may he worrying about nothing wait till you find somewhere first then cone up with the best solution for the place you get 
  • Manda1
    Manda1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
     How clean the environment is depends  on the people who live there .
  • Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    Options
    @Janer1967 - you wait, it will happen!  I live on a street with a lot of trees and I’m sure the leafs are swept over the poo.  I don’t go on pavements if possible - roads are poo free.  It has taken me 2hrs or 3 getting wheels cleaned.  Scrubbing brush and soapy water was too difficult so invested in power washer and do it just outside garage.  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.