Support Worker for Autistic Adult — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support Worker for Autistic Adult

Options
brilliantj
brilliantj Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Hello everyone.  I would like to know of your experiences and contacts if you have any, for funding for a support worker for my 21 years old autistic son.  He hasn't been out of the house for nearly two years.  He was at a special school who took him out regularly (for a coffee, walk etc). Since leaving school at 19 he's fallen through the cracks and doesn't go anywhere. He won't go with 'mum' and there is no-one else who understands him.  I spoke to adult social care who said he wouldn't qualify for a support worker and it's up to me to find and fund one.  They said, if he doesn't need help at home and he's not in assisted living then he wouldn't qualify for any help.  He's not in education so his EHCP, I guess has now lapsed.  They said he can wash, get a drink etc. (that is if you count the four hours to get him into a shower - that is!) and they could not guarantee sending the same person (which he would not cope with at all).  I've checked and we would need about 4-6 hours per week and it is in excess of 20.00 per hour.  That is income that I could not find and was wondering if all local authorities are the same?  I am in Southampton.  I look after my elderly mother in the same house and he definitely needs a break and a new face to help him back into society.  Any thoughts anyone?  Thank you for reading the post.

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Have you actually specifically requested a needs assessment and had one carried out?
  • brilliantj
    brilliantj Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    I did mention it but they said because he manages at home they didn’t think he needed one. I was quite surprised at that because he is actually quite severe but the can he get a drink, shower etc ticks the box (even though it’s a question of degree and level of support he needs from me, they were not interested. What do you advise? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

I would look for community befriending groups or charities 

It could start with someone just visiting building up a rapport then taking him out eventually 

Has your gp any suggestions 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    He is legally entitled to a needs assessment. Refer him again and insist he has one. Failing that, if they say no, follow the local authorities complaints procedure. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.