My experience of assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My experience of assessment

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Community member Posts: 576 Pioneering
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I wanted to say a few things about my assessment.
I was called an hour earlier than appointed time (which was fine with me) The lady did ask if it was convenient. It lasted about 1 hour and ten minutes, and she covered everything, even though I had answered no to some questions on the form. I was pleased with this, as I hadn’t thought some things were relevant, where clearly they were. I wasn’t rushed, so was able to talk about time it takes, reliability etc.
The lady was lovely (thankfully) very thorough.She was especially sensitive with regards to mental health issues.

From my point of view it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, though I was still extremely anxious.

Good luck to those due to have theirs.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for the update glad it wasn't as bad as you expected 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Thanks for the update glad it wasn't as bad as you expected 
    Just glad it’s over. Thankyou also for advice you’ve given me janer over the last few weeks.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Your welcome 

Make sure you let us know how you get on 

Are you going yo request a copy of your report or wait for the decision 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    I thought at first that I would wait for the decision, but now I shall request the report as soon as I’m able. Do I wait for a text, or wait a week or so?
  • janer1967
    Options
    It is usually available 7 working days after assessment but if you get a text before then it should be available then 
  • Leigh14
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    It is usually available 7 working days after assessment but if you get a text before then it should be available then 
    Thankyou ?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Leigh14 pleased it went ok for you, I would definitely request a copy of the assessment in about 7 days time, it will give you an idea of the award they are suggesting, the DWP DM usually goes with that, so it will saving you waiting 8 weeks.
    Well done you
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Leigh14
    Options
    woodbine said:
    @Leigh14 pleased it went ok for you, I would definitely request a copy of the assessment in about 7 days time, it will give you an idea of the award they are suggesting, the DWP DM usually goes with that, so it will saving you waiting 8 weeks.
    Well done you
    Thankyou woodbine ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Leigh14 You've been on my mind this morning, in-fact I meant to wish you well but I got distracted!  I'm so glad to hear it went well and wasn't as bad as you anticipated.  You deserve a strong cuppa tea and a chocolate biscuit!  Good luck and keep us updated :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    @Leigh14 You've been on my mind this morning, in-fact I meant to wish you well but I got distracted!  I'm so glad to hear it went well and wasn't as bad as you anticipated.  You deserve a strong cuppa tea and a chocolate biscuit!  Good luck and keep us updated :)
    Awww, Thankyou Cher. I know it’s still early, but, only a cup of tea? Lol. Alas, I don’t have anything stronger in, but I do have chocolate biscuits ?

As the call was earlier than appointment, it meant I wasn’t flapping around waiting for the ‘dreaded’ call. I’d organised everything the night before, ie, notes.
  • saversam
    saversam Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Hi great news, so pleased it went well. Fingers & toes crossed for a positive out come. Well done
  • Leigh14
    Options
    saversam said:
    Hi great news, so pleased it went well. Fingers & toes crossed for a positive out come. Well done
    Thankyou. Fingers and toes crossed you us both ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you very much for telling us how your assessment went @Leigh14 - I'm pleased you felt you weren't rushed & were able to mention the things you wanted to. It does sound like it went well, so we'll all be dying to know when you get a copy of your assessment report. :)
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @Leigh14 Thanks for updating us. Great that it's over and done with for you.

Break open those choccy biscuits and enjoy!

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Thank you very much for telling us how your assessment went @Leigh14 - I'm pleased you felt you weren't rushed & were able to mention the things you wanted to. It does sound like it went well, so we'll all be dying to know when you get a copy of your assessment report. :)
    You’re so kind chiarieds. Thankyou again for your messages last night ?

Will definitely let you all know.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Caz_Scope said:
    @Leigh14 Thanks for updating us. Great that it's over and done with for you.

Break open those choccy biscuits and enjoy!

Thankyou Caz, for your support too. Choccy biscuits, yes for sure.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for that Mike, your thoughts on obtaining the assessment report match my own and curiously I though of posting something similar this morning.

Even after the decision is known getting the report seems to add little to preparation of an MR, in my opinion. Any key ‘misunderstandings’ that one might want to reference will generally be evident from the decision letter itself.

If going to appeal the assessment report will appear in the appeal bundle. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Mike, your advice is definitely heeded, and makes perfect sense. The assessors report is one thing, but the actual decision could be something entirely different. I’ve waited since January for an assessment, so I’m sure I can wait for the actual decision.
    Thankyou for your support and advice.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.