Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

0 points on pip assessment

Options
gh0stie
gh0stie Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I received a copy of my report, and I have not been listened to at all. The assessor has marked me down as being able to do everything, despite during the call my mum explicitly saying that I can’t do certain tasks due to being a risk to myself, or them causing serve panic attacks. 
I put it down to having a job, despite only working 4 hours a week and having to take numerous times off work due to my mental health.  And also having my own flat, despite spending 90% of my time back at my parents house because I don’t feel safe on my own.

Is a mandatory reconsideration worth going ahead with if I’ve scored 0 marks? Is there any chance of success? 

If anyone had any advice on the next steps, please let me know. This is my second time going through PIP for my mental health and not being listened to. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hello @gh0st85

I'm sorry to hear that the report doesn't make good reading, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the decision maker will go along with the report. 

However, in the event that your  claim isn't successful and you get 0 points, as you suggested in your post, a MR is absolutely worth it if you feel as though the decision is wrong and you can explain why it is. It might be a good point at which to seek some representation from a place like Advice Local, or Welfare Rights, just to support you through the process.

Can I ask, do you receive support from your GP, mental health support worker or other professional to manage your mental health? And is there a reason causing you to feel unsafe in your home?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can't do anything until you have a decision letter.
    Doing an MR is certainly worthwhile and if it fails you can appeal to the tribunal service.
    Any challenge you make should focus on strengthening your case for why you should be awarded PIP. You may wish to correct a few 'misunderstandings' but getting hung up on the assessment report is a distraction.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • gh0stie
    gh0stie Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    @Ross_Scope
    Thank you! I’m preparing for the worst and trying to work out the best way forward. I have no formal support in place since moving on from Camhs, I see my GP/ Crisis team when things are bad. I have been on numerous waiting lists however we recently decided  to go private earlier this year, due to my mental health getting progressively worse, however my GP didn’t want to send a referral off for me due to not using the NHS services (I have undertaken the majority of these services or similar whilst being in a psychiatric ward). There’s no “real” reason I feel unsafe in my home, my mood fluctuates dramatically and being in a low mood can result in self harm/ suicide ideation, and it’s safer for me to be at my parents where they can make sure I’m safe and don’t result in any form of self harm. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Hello @gh0st85

Thank you for providing that information, I'm sorry to read that you have no formal support in place at the minute, however I'm glad that you still consult with your GP and crisis team when you need them, please ensure you continue to do so in the moments where you feel as though your mental health is becoming hard to manage.

You mentioned that you sometimes harm yourself or experience suicidal ideation in the times where you feel low, has that been the case recently? How are you feeling at the moment? If you ever do feel as though you might harm yourself, you should contact 999 right away, or attend your local A&E service. 

I'm not sure if you've ever engaged with the below previously, but you might find these resources helpful as a means of getting support and talking to somebody:
    • Samaritans, who you can contact on 116 123
    • the Shout text service, which you can access by sending "Shout" to 85258
    • useful information from Mind and the MH Foundation
    We will also be sending you an email shortly with further information, so keep an eye on your inbox :) 

Take care

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
    how long can you be waiting for pip tribunal?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Popdiva43 said:
    how long can you be waiting for pip tribunal?
    The first stage is an MR which means that a different person at DWP reviews your claim.

A tribunal which is independent would follow the MR if needed. Waiting times can be long and vary around the country.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Hello @gh0st85

How have you been lately? Is everything okay? :) 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.