Hi, my name is violets! My daughter wants to move in with me. Who do I need to inform? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is violets! My daughter wants to move in with me. Who do I need to inform?

violets
violets Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My daughter wants to move in with me, she works. Who do I contact to inform, I’m on pip and esa. I’m also a legal guardian to my grandson so get family credit 
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Your PIP is not affected.
    Do you get a Severe Disability Premium in your ESA (if it is income based)? If so you will need to inform ESA and, unless your daughter also gets a disability benefit, you will lose the SDP.
    if you currently live alone and get a single person discount on your Council Tax you need to inform them and you will lose the discount.
    if you are claiming Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction you will also have to inform the local authority benefits team and the amount of benefit you get will change because your daughter will be expected to contribute - but if you are claiming Housing Benefit you will be allowed one extra bedroom.
    Contact numbers for all of the relevant organisations will be on letters about your benefits.
    By ‘family credit’ do you mean Child Benefit? This will not be affected.
    —————
    if you have time before your daughter moves in it would be worth seeing if you can have a full benefits check done before she does - particularly if you currently get the SDP in your ESA. You might find you are better off claiming UC and if claimed while still getting ESA with SDP you would get transitional protection which you would retain even after she moves in even though the SDP itself will be lost if you stay on ESA.

Note to moderators - this might be better in the ‘What benefits am I entitled to? section.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • violets
    Thank you,who should I phone first ? Can you advice please 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    You would ring the relevant teams as soon as possible after the change has occurred.

If you want a benefits check done look for a local advice agency https://advicelocal.uk/

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @violets and welcome to the community, I hope you've found the above information helpful.

Will you be calling the relevant places suggested by calcoti?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Just wanted to stop by and add my welcome @violets :)

How are you getting on? Have you managed to get things sorted? Hope the information has been useful?

If you do need help with anything else, please do give us a shout. Otherwise, you have a lovely Sunday and all the best for when your daughter moves in with you!

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • violets
    Thankyou for your advice I will be sorting it this week 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.