Boredom - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Boredom

Options

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That’s a good idea @OverlyAnxious, I’ve always enjoyed darts but haven’t played for years. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,755 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always wanted to be good at darts, senior management is and used to play for a ladies team. :open_mouth:
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I bought a Rubiks cube this week as I thought it would be a good non-screen distraction.

Turns out I have to keep referring to an online guide to work out the correct manoeuvres!   :D

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    At least you have some pretty colours to look at @OverlyAnxious :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    Options
    Meditation is good and doesn’t require a screen @OverlyAnxious, also you could try using one or two positive affirmations while doing it. Some people find that especially useful while the mind is relaxed and pliable. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I bought a Rubiks cube this week as I thought it would be a good non-screen distraction.

Turns out I have to keep referring to an online guide to work out the correct manoeuvres!   :D

I had one of those many years ago but always got frustrated with it. 
  • leeCal
    Options
    Staring at a candle flame can be good mindfulness for a few minutes, and if you want to prolong the matter have a friend hide your matches before hand.  

(Disclaimer: only light a candle if you’re in a safe place to do so and keep it well away from anything which could burn or burst into flame. Seriously.)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    leeCal said:
    Staring at a candle flame can be good mindfulness for a few minutes, and if you want to prolong the matter have a friend hide your matches before hand.  

(Disclaimer: only light a candle if you’re in a safe place to do so and keep it well away from anything which could burn or burst into flame. Seriously.)
    Candles smell nice too :) It's just a shame that as private renters we're not allowed them
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    MarkN88 said:

I had one of those many years ago but always got frustrated with it. 
    They're actually really simple using an online guide, only takes a matter of minutes when you know what to do.  I managed to get the first layer done without any help but just could not work out how to do the rest without messing that layer up.  When I saw the algorithms used I realised I'd never have worked them out on my own so don't find it cheating lol.  Still found it fascinating the way that after 8 moves which appear to be ruining it, the 9th suddenly completes the action.  Also found it kind of cool that computer algorithms were showing me the physical algorithms needed.  :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    leeCal said:
    Meditation is good and doesn’t require a screen @OverlyAnxious, also you could try using one or two positive affirmations while doing it. Some people find that especially useful while the mind is relaxed and pliable. ?
    Thanks Lee, but I just don't find mindfulness relaxing at all.  I need something to fully occupy my mind and push the other thoughts out, instead of trying to 'empty' my mind of thoughts.  It's the same with music - I often have the the radio on when I can't sleep, but slow, gentle music doesn't help at all, the thoughts continue to race around...yet something with a faster beat and more than one instrument creates an almost overwhelming focus to push everything else out.  

I have thought about a candle...particularly one of those that keeps bugs away with windows open this time of year!  But I'm not a fan of fire at all so would probably be constantly worried about burning the flat down, although I suppose that could be a strong enough thought to push the others out!  :D
  • leeCal
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious, have you tried meditation, I use a counting method which blocks other thoughts and brings you into the now constantly. Starting at one on your first out breath up to ten and then start again from one. If you lose track of which number you’re on you start again from one. That should work really. ?

(incidentally, you can count your breaths anytime to experience the now not just when meditating.)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    Options
    leeCal said:
    @OverlyAnxious, have you tried meditation, I use a counting method which blocks other thoughts and brings you into the now constantly. Starting at one on your first out breath up to ten and then start again from one. If you lose track of which number you’re on you start again from one. That should work really. ?

(incidentally, you can count your breaths anytime to experience the now not just when meditating.)
    Much of my anxiety is around my body and bodily processes, so meditation hasn't worked so far.  Focussing on breathing just increases my heart rate and then I start to panic as I can no longer breathe automatically...  :#  I also tried a walking meditation last year, focussing on the steps, but that just caused the worst burning sensation I've ever had in my feet, ankles and up my calves. 

I had to switch back to an 'external' distraction before it started to subside.  That external distraction was picking up faults on the passing cars...squealy brakes, noisy wheel bearings, misfires, loose aux belts...just anything to get away from my own body.  :)
  • leeCal
    Options
    I’m told embroidery and knitting are good boredom busters too. Not sure I’d take up either though tbh.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Not sure they're for me either!  Jigsaw puzzles are another potential idea, if you have the space to do them.
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't like boredom because on Sundays it's extra boring and I hate Sundays.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is there a particular reason Sundays are more boring @chloeknight16071992? Is it because things usually close earlier? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chloeblue04
    Options
    My reason why Sundays are boring for me is because there's nothing fun and eventful to do.
  • leeCal
    Options
    Did you get around to buying the dartboard @OverlyAnxious?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• chloeblue04
    Options
  • leeCal
    Options
    To reiterate something I posted elsewhere, building small models from used matches can be fun and they make attractive objects once finished, just used matches and glue . Many people used to do this making anything from a small lodge to a giant sized Cathedral. Good fun.

― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.