Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Appealing against a Lower-tier tribunal decision regarding a PIP claim

Options
nharrod
nharrod Community member Posts: 4 Connected
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, just looking for some/any advice on appealing a Lower-tier tribunal decision. I feel like giving up but then I get angry at how the system and the so-called health professionals liar and embellish conversations and that makes me want to take it to the Upper-tier but I really don't know if I've got the strength to. Should I challenge the decision and drag the claim out even longer than it's already taken or just notify PIP that my disability has deteriorated? But what happens then? Do I have to go see another (not really medically trained) health professional? 
Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

If you report a change in circumstances 8t will trigger a whole new assessment   the firmd and a assessment and a new decision which will over ride any current award 

You need to try and not focus on saying assessor lied as this will not strengthen your claim . What they report is their opinion based on what you have said 

You need to concentrate on making your case stronger as that is what a tribunal looks at your case not the difference of opinions 

I'm not expert on upper tribunals so will leave others to advise on that 
  • Hartnsoul
    Hartnsoul Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    Hi, Im finding this helpful while Im awaiting my appeal for LCW.

I was so angry at the lies and misrepresentatation on my assessment that despite my low energy and depression the injustice of seeing lies used in my HCP statement has fuelled me to contest their decision to ignore my permanent medical condition and award no points. They said in one part I completed the form wrong but I dont know why. With advice from welfare rights I should not have put 'it varies' for most (ie bad day v good day) She said I shouldve put the worst vase only in my answers.

I have gone through my appeal focused on answering all statements in my assessment that are untrue or conveniently twisted. The welfare rights advisor told me that its the unprofessional non medical opinion of the HCP I need to point out and discredit his opinion and correct the statements for the record. From your posts above it seems this is not the best advice! 

To make our cases stronger is a doctors letter sufficient to confirm our medical condition and current state of health?
    My Dr says I definitely have limited caoability and always will have due to my condition. To my mind that disputes the bottom line where the DWP have based their decision on. Surely that is sufficient to prove my case? 

Also, what is the best sort of representation to have at an appeal tribunal that would help us? 
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,im waiting for a hearing date for my pip appeal as got zero points on my assessment.But yet I got awarded the higher rate for lwrca,so I confused as I told both assesses the same thing,and get turned down for one but accepted for the other.I have cab helping me with my appeal,and my daughter has written a letter,telling the tribunal what she does for me on a daily basis,just get as much help as you can.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.