what major did you study in the university and why did you choose this major? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

what major did you study in the university and why did you choose this major?

Options
Shadow000
Shadow000 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Dear all

I am a student from the Department of Journalism at the University of Sheffield. I am currently doing work about the enrollment of disabled students in different subject. Could you spend one minute share that what major did you study in the university and why did you choose this major?

Great thanks if you could help! 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not the answer you're looking for, but I left school at 16 had I been a year older I could have left at 15, the thought of remaining in education till I was 21, well let me put it this way I would have rather eaten my own eye-balls  :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• tru88le
    tru88le Posts: 201 Courageous
    Options
    Media and Cultural studies 
    Liverpool
    Chose because I was interested in Sausserian linguistics, etymology and post structuralist theory.. 
    I'm still interested by the way.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Shadow000 :) It's great to have you with us.

Am I right in thinking that you wouldn't be collecting or reporting any of our users' data (including usernames)? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Shadow000
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Shadow000 :) It's great to have you with us.

Am I right in thinking that you wouldn't be collecting or reporting any of our users' data (including usernames)? 
    Yes! It would be anonymous!
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 504 Pioneering
    Options
    My son is studying maths at a north of England Russell group university.  He chose that because it was by far his best subject at school.  He goes to that Uni (not going to name to give some anonymity to him) mainly because they had by far and away the best attitude towards his complex physical & communication disability and were very open to adapting the course, exam process, timetable etc.  Unlike the other approx 10 Unis who ranged from a flat "no chance" (paraphrase!) to "yes no problem!"...but with no indication at all of how they were actually going to manage things and no questions at all about anything!  Totally unrealistic.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

I went to uni part time degree when I was about 28 I wasn't disabled then 

Did post grad degree in human resources at Derby uni for 3 years 

Chose it as this was the career I had started and wanted the qualification to go with it as most companies only employee hr managers if they have the qualificatio  

Also my company sponsored me to do it 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    I have a BSc in Earth Sciences and an MSc in Geosystems, both from the US, done when I had MH problems and some physical problems, but not my current physical disability. I was doing a PhD in seismology at a Russelll Group Uni when I became disabled. They were incredibly unsupportive and eventually kicked me out.
  • Shadow000
    Options
    My son is studying maths at a north of England Russell group university.  He chose that because it was by far his best subject at school.  He goes to that Uni (not going to name to give some anonymity to him) mainly because they had by far and away the best attitude towards his complex physical & communication disability and were very open to adapting the course, exam process, timetable etc.  Unlike the other approx 10 Unis who ranged from a flat "no chance" (paraphrase!) to "yes no problem!"...but with no indication at all of how they were actually going to manage things and no questions at all about anything!  Totally unrealistic.
    Can I ask that do you think if the pandemic affects your son's study? And how it affects?
  • innocent21
    innocent21 Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    I studied computing at university because I have an interest in programming and running startups. I would have chosen sociology but I didn’t want to be writing essays for 3 years so I went with what was more challenging.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.