Opening up — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Opening up

foodie
foodie Community member Posts: 163 Courageous
Hi I don't like to tell others how I feel I keep everything inside and I'm no good in group discussions I don't like feeling this way then after holding it all in my I get pains all over am.I the only one feeling this way 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @foodie i'm 100% certain that you are not the only person feeling the way you do, I think it would be correct to say that we have all felt like that at some time in our lives.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    I've had those bad times too. So your not the only one.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    You're definitely not the only one @foodie. It can be difficult holding everything in. Is there any situation in which you feel comfortable sharing how you feel? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hello @foodie :)

How are you doing? No, you're definitely not on your own there, I promise you.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel very comfortable in group discussions as well. Given your chats on the community, I would say that you'd been doing really well discussing things with other people. This is quite a big group, after all. Hopefully, you feel comfortable chatting to us in the group?

Also, please don't feel like you have to keep everything inside. If there is anything that you're finding a bit more difficult at the moment, don't hold things in. We're really happy to have a conversation with you about that if it's something you're struggling with. Keep talking to us.

You have a good day, and we look forward to speaking with you again soon. <3

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    Hi Foodie,

I do not think you are alone, I also struggle with starting posts and discussing things - I find it much easier to open a post I think I may have something to contribute to but I close more without commenting than I ever add to.  If someone or several people have said what I was wanting to I don't feel it needed to contribute to the thread only to say the same thing again.

If however, I find a thread that I do have something to contribute that hasn't been said before I find it helps me as much as I hope it helps the discussion to be able to add my experience or point of view to the thread.  I find it cathartic to think that the pain and difficulty I have experienced had a purpose in being able to help someone else.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    If someone or several people have said what I was wanting to I don't feel it needed to contribute to the thread only to say the same thing again.
    Just posting to say I get this too.

Though by posting this I am being a bit contradictory as you have already said it.

I think I need to go away and think about this paradox :/:p:D 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.