Daughter attends a special setting. She's been denied a place at a more suitable school. What now? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daughter attends a special setting. She's been denied a place at a more suitable school. What now?

Options
milesy40
milesy40 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2021 in Education
Hi everyone, I’m mum to my loving and caring 9 year old autistic daughter. 
I’m looking for some advice. My daughter has a EHCP and attends a special setting. This was not the school I wanted for my daughter, but at the time of applying for EHCP my daughter was home schooled and was on the ASD pathway. My daughter didn’t meet the criteria for that school due to no diagnosis of autism. My child is very able and setting she attends is for severely delayed. Fast forward to 2019, daughter was diagnosed with autism and was accepted for a place at new setting, but no available places st that time. School are now denying my daughter this place, saying that she is a setting that can meet her needs, and this is now outdated. I’ve ask for and EP, but was told it would be a waste of their resources, because they have to buy them in. Just looking for some answers, I’m not getting anywhere with LA, Sen caseworker or school.
Thanks everyone
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @milesy40 :) Thanks for joining, and for telling us about the situation you're in.

So, your daughter currently attends a SEN school, has now been diagnosed with ASD and, as a result of that, was accepted for a place at a more suitable SEN school, but has been denied that place due to her current school allegedly meeting her needs. Have I got that right?

Have you ever had a chat with IPSEA or your local SENDIASS? Here's their information:
    • IPSEA (Independent Provider of Special Education Advice)
    • You'll need to find your local authority's SENDIASS. You can do this by searching online, e.g. Leeds SENDIASS. They should be able to offer you some free and impartial advice 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • milesy40
    Options
    Hi yes in a nutshell. I’ve been in touch with SENDIASS, but due to covid there is a long waiting time for telephone appointments. My daughter is not currently attending school, refusal, down to all time of non attendance due to school closing to all pupils apart from keyworkers children. Her case went to placement panel meeting, which I lost and they now want my daughter back at school. No talk of transition being put in place, just point blank return. Her absences are being recorded as an authorised. I have told school that I’m seeking advice, but next available appt not till late June.
    Thanks for your reply
  • milesy40
    Options
    Sorry unauthorised.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.