Has anyone planned for having to retire early due to pain & discomfort trying to work part time? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone planned for having to retire early due to pain & discomfort trying to work part time?

Options
alan745
alan745 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
How has anyone planned for the inevitable having to retire early due to pain & discomfort trying to still work 4 days a week??
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @alan745 :) I've made your post on the activity wall into a post here so that other members can find and answer it more easily. 

Are you referring to the financial side of retiring early? Have you had any reasonable adjustments at work to help you to stay in employment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

It depends un what term you mean 

Paying into a company pension is preparing or as above requesting reasonable adjustments 

Taking your pension early before 55 is not an easy process but happy to advise where I can 
  • alan745
    Options
    I am getting close to 59 & am hoping to manage a few years more.
    Work have made adjustments & provided a suitably adjustable  chair  mouse & keyboard & am now based at home.
    But trying to sort out the method of being able to work out which of my pensions are best to make a available for drawdown or give a regular monthly payment.
    As I will have to make up enough £ until I can draw my state pension.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry not my Rea of expertise you ats mist likely better talking to a financial adviser and getting professional advice 

We don't know any details of your pensions so would be impossible to advise 
  • alan745
    Options
    Thanks for the reply janer1967, appreciate your reply, was more after generalizing for those of us that will not be able to work until state retirement age, & if there was any place that would be more in tune with our needs.

• griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Options
    A lot depends what pension schemes you are in.  If public sector or civil service there is ill health retirement but I would recommend speaking to your union about this as o know public sector has 3 levels if ill health retirement.  Also if public sector and made redundant after age 55 you get early access , with no reduction to pension.  One point to note if working part time you do not accrue a full year for pension service so in your case only 4/5th of a year . I took early retirement after being made redundant and I only had 30 years pension despite working for authority for 39 years as I worked part time for many year . 
    I've s as mother 10 years until state pension.  Also worth noting if you've spent a long time in occupational pension scheme you may be a few years short to get full state pension due to being contracted out.  Check your state pension forecast as it tells you how many mire years you need to pay in.  
    If you short of years register for job seekers will give you NI credits as will carers (even with  no payment ). 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.