I spoke to someone from an organisation and they're concerned about me - what happens next? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I spoke to someone from an organisation and they're concerned about me - what happens next?

Options
Raindrops1999
Raindrops1999 Community member Posts: 6 Connected

Hello,

I have mental health issues and autism. I spoke to someone from a charity or organisation (not sure which one) and they said they're concerned about me because of some of the things I said. I told the woman who is concerned about me that I'm currently under a mental health team, and how they're really bad and don't care for me much. I also call the crisis team often and they've not been useful at all. <moderator removed - description of self harm> The crisis team also suggested me going to bed to make myself feel better. Of course sleeping is only a temporary solution to an ongoing problem. Amongst other things they've said to me.

I also told the woman on the email that I've been feeling low and bad since June 2017, so I think that maybe a concern for them? I told them my history about who I liked romantically and who's liked me and what's happened. Also about how I lost my dog because he had to be put down in December 2018, and lost my friend to cancer in June 2019. I was telling them how I sometimes feel impulsive and feel like <moderator removed - description of self harm> to get help and also because I want to die because of how rubbish my life is. I look back on things and when I thought I was in a crisis, I wasn't in as much of in a crisis than I am now.

So the woman I spoke to on the phone has submitted a safeguarding form about my mental health and I presume about the neglect from the healthcare services. Prior to speaking to her on the phone, she called me 3-times, but I never picked up because I was in bed tired. She then phoned the 4th time and I then answered. We spoke for about 30-minutes and she told me she was concerned for me. I have obviously consented to her sending the form over, but I'm not sure who she's sent it to.

I'm worried about what's going to happen. Has this happened to any of yous before?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Raindrops1999 good evening and welcome to scope and the community.
    Firstly I would ask who was this person who emailed you from, you say a charity or organisation could you tell us which?
    If you need to speak to someone could i suggest the samaritans on 116 123 its free and open 24 hours a day. If you think you are going to harm yourself then phone 999.
    I'm afraid we probably don't know what is going to happen until we know who she represents.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Raindrops1999
    Raindrops1999 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    woodbine said:
    @Raindrops1999 good evening and welcome to scope and the community.
    Firstly I would ask who was this person who emailed you from, you say a charity or organisation could you tell us which?
    If you need to speak to someone could i suggest the samaritans on 116 123 its free and open 24 hours a day. If you think you are going to harm yourself then phone 999.
    I'm afraid we probably don't know what is going to happen until we know who she represents.

Hi there Woodbine,
    It was a charity called Healthwatch. I spoke to someone there and she's sending a safeguarding thing somewhere.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    from google: Healthwatch:

What we do

We are the independent champion
    for health and social care users.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Raindrops1999 -  I would suggest there's nothing to worry about.... they just want to ensure you're safe, please also look at the phone numbers woodbine has given. I'll also ask the Scope team if they can help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hello @Raindrops1999 how are you feeling today?

We wouldn't be able to advise what will happen next in terms of Healthwatch's safeguarding referral as each organisations processes slightly differ.  Uppermost though, I want you to know that this is routine practice and there's nothing to be worried about.  The goal of safeguarding is to protect individuals and take actions to help them, so it might be for instance that you receive a follow up call about what support options are available to you.  However, if you have any questions, I'd be inclined to contact the lady you spoke to again - if you still have her phone number or an email address - so she can give more specific details about what will happen next.  

From our end, based on how you describe your feeling, I wonder if contacting your doctor would help?  It does sound like the care you are getting around your mental health at this point isn't quite enough and they'd be able to offer practical support based on what you share.  Also, if you want to speak with anyone more about the thoughts you're having, there are organisations out there to listen (such as Samaritans - as mentioned by @woodbine ).  These are:
    And also, always but always call 999 and ask for an ambulance if you think you might hurt yourself.  We want to keep you safe.  

I'm going to send you a little email now just to see if us at Scope can do anything to help too.  I hope you have a nice Monday and if you ever need to speak to anyone, our community is here for you.  Take care.  

Just to add, I've slightly amended your initial post on this thread to remove description around self-harm.  You've done nothing wrong and this was to avoid anyone reading from becoming distressed.  Thank you for understanding  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Katharine_Alumni
    Katharine_Alumni Community member, Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    Take care of yourself, @Raindrops1999. You have done a really brave thing to open up to us here and share what is going on with Healthwatch too. As others have said, we are here for you :) 
    Katharine McKnight
    Careers Adviser, Career Pathways
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Raindrops1999 I'm just checking in to see how things are going :)  I hope you're keeping well and we're only ever a message away if you need us.  Take care and have a lovely week.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.