Dropped Kerbs for Mobilty Vehicle Access — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dropped Kerbs for Mobilty Vehicle Access

Options
JCC
JCC Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
edited November 2021 in Aids, adaptations, and equipment
Hello,

My eldest daughter was rehoused with her children by our LA because of her physical health problems.
She does have a Mobility vehicle but the kerb to her property is not a dropped one.
When moving in she was told rather tersely that she would have to pay for the dropped kerbs herself.   Fair enough!  But it isn’t cheap.

I just wondered if there are any regulations or guidelines etc. that may help with negotiating a way through the process because of her disabilities.   I am saving like mad to ease the financial cost.

Any information gratefully received.

Many thanks and take care everyone.

Julia

Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JCC

Hope you're well.

Sorry to read that your daughter has been told she has to pay for it herself, I can imagine it isn't cheap, is she receiving all the benefits she's entitled to to make it as affordable as possible? 

You might find this Scope page about paying for home adaptations helpful (though I recognise that this situation involves something outside the home). Likewise, you might find this page useful about finding grants and financing home adaptations.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That happend to me in one of my property's I lived in in the end I brought a metal curb slope which cost me 60.00 it just sits there you can also fix it to the kerb it did the job it was alot of money to do a drop kerb 
  • Fourpence
    Fourpence Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    That's what we did Lisa but if you get in touch with occupational health they do have grants for essential work. I think this would be classed as essential. It took me a while to argue with LA, if I can help you just shout. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Occupational  health wont consider drop kerbs in wales it was there suggestion to have the metal  curb slope  I live in a private lane now  so don't need a drop curb now just need to be able to park outside my house now instead of everyone  eles lol ?
  • JCC
    Options
    Occupational  health wont consider drop kerbs in wales it was there suggestion to have the metal  curb slope  I live in a private lane now  so don't need a drop curb now just need to be able to park outside my house now instead of everyone  eles lol ?
    That is concerning Lisa as we too live in Wales.  I have seen the metal plates but will have to check with the LA if it is ok to put one down as technically someone can still park out side of her home .  Thank you very much.
  • JCC
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help.  It is much appreciated. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @JCC you could put in an application and try but they are very tight on budget I have been waiting for my assessment for other things but due to corona virus everything is delayed 
  • craftyarts
    craftyarts Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Good afternoon JCC it may be helpful to contact the highways and byways to put a case in for a dropped curb as it is their responsibility. I would be cautious of using a metal ramp in because if someone had a accident you would be liable unfortunately we live in a sue society these days . Is there a access group in your daughters area who could help put a petition in to get this sorted out . Put forward it is a health and safety situation , for your daughter in case she tipped out of her chair and for the general public as a trip hazard .
    I hope you found this useful ?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Metal ramps are safe occupational health recommended them they can be fitted to the kerb I had one for years it acts as a drop kerb they have saved people alot of money and made things better for people high ways and bye ways will do do a drop kerb for a alot of money where I live lots of people have them some people have made their own wooden ones ?
  • craftyarts
    Options
    Good evening I have just spoken to a friend who is a councillor in Hampshire 
    their response was it is purely down to highways and byways ( county council) to agree.
    The council are responsible for drawing up the plans to put in a drop kerb, finding the funding and ensuring it is done correctly. This is the case for all work the council do. If people have a just case for a dropped kerb then they should put in for it . If they are turned down then put in for a DFG grant via a OT 
    The end result will always be the same “it gets done “ . I hope this is helpful ? 
    Unfortunately have a disability is not for the faint hearted it is knocking on the door until you get the services that  you require . 
    I also saw that someone had a issue parking outside their house , once again apply to the council for a designated parking space which means other people are not allowed to park there 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    I have an issue with parking outside my own house council won't do anything I have asked for a permit parking to be put outside my house and they said people will still park there and they don't have parking attendants working in the village I have been trying for three years different channels and through my mp and local councilor 
  • craftyarts
    Options
    What you have been told is not true . The parking space needs to be dedignated as a blue badge parking space with disabled parking painted on the road alongside the bay. These are legally enforceable.  So it does not matter if there is or is not a traffic warden in your area . What you meed to do is to take documentary evidence of the car type and number plate preferably a photograph and supply this to the Parking enforcement team and the person will incur penalties 
    I hope this is helpful ? All this information can be readily found on the Internet.  
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    There are another three disabled blue badge holders in the line also the lane is a private lane not owned by the council or the high ways and by ways  

I have put a different type of application in now so that they can now put a permit parking space outside my house  I am happy to do that so have to wait now 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.