Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Pip no assement and worried

Options
rmcc
rmcc Community member Posts: 16 Connected
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello I'm new here and would love some advice? 
I recently applied for pip as I suffer 2 bulging discs, sciatica and and mental health. I had a telephone call to book an assessment via telephone and they decided it was to distressing to do this due to my anxiety and panic attacks so they contacted my gp for medical evidence, they have now made their assessment report and I have requested this but it's taking so long and I'm worried because I had no assement would I be entitled to a claim? Any help or advice I would greatly appreciate? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

It doesn't matter that they decided to do a paper based assessment you can still get an award so no need to panic 

It still goes to a decision maker who looks at all the evidence and makes a decision  

It does take approx 8 weeks for decision 
  • rmcc
    Options
    Hi @janer1967, thank you for your reply I'm very nervous about it all, I have requested a copy of the assessment report to give me an idea as I have read on here it's good to see what to prepare for, would it tell me in this report or what way does this work? 
    Thank you 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,165 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rmcc - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry your PIP claim has made you feel so nervous, tho many of us have felt like that admittedly. When you get your assessment report, towards the end you will see a list of the activities that are looked at with PIP. For each activity there will be a black circle or tick against one, then use the following to compare & see what points may be awarded. https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
    The decision maker usually goes with these recommendations, but not always. Do come back with any questions. :)
  • rmcc
    Options
    Hello @chiarieds and thank you for the link. I hope to have the report soon I requested it last week, I was just worried as I didn't get doing an assessment because i was distressed on the phone and thought this would effect the claim, but my doctor has sent lots of supporting evidence, will see how it goes when the report comes  
    Thank you!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @rmcc and welcome to the community, I hope you've found the above replies helpful regarding your benefit claim.

Could I ask, do you receive support from a GP or other health professional to help with managing your mental health?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • rmcc
    Options
    Hello @Ross_Scope yes all the information is very helpful! I receive support from my gp and also see our gps mental health nurse and I was also at the local mental health services who referred me to CBT and counciling but we have tried this before and never found any benifit from it, also thank you for your reply. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    rmcc said:
    Hello @Ross_Scope yes all the information is very helpful! I receive support from my gp and also see our gps mental health nurse and I was also at the local mental health services who referred me to CBT and counciling but we have tried this before and never found any benifit from it, also thank you for your reply. 
    I'm sorry to hear you've never found any benefit from those things, but I'm glad you at least have support there if you ever feel like you need it again. I hope you have techniques in place to self-care your mental health :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Let us know when you get the report and what it recommends 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Could you perhaps ask to try a different kind of talking therapy @rmcc? It's also important to remember that CBT might not work at one time, but can be more effective at another time. This can be for a number of reasons, including the thoughts and behaviours that you're working through, as well as the therapist themselves. Sometimes you just don't click with the therapist/counsellor you're assigned. It can also be a slow process in general, and it can take some time for progress to show. Are you willing to give it another go?

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• rmcc
    Options
    @janer1967 I will be sure to let yous know once I revieve it! All being well i hope it's what i expect 
  • rmcc
    Options
    @Tori_Scope I am with another CBT therapist and on my last session this week via zoom and she doesnt feel like it had been beneficial this time round either. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I see @rmcc. Did she make any suggestions about why it wasn't as effective as she might have hoped, or about other options or types of therapy you could access? 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• rmcc
    Options
    Hi just an update , I received my assessment report and recommended 18 points for daily living and 22 for mobility, I'm hoping this is what I score after dm looks at it 
  • janer1967
    Options
    @rmcc that sounds very positive fingers crossed the dm goes with the report 
  • rmcc
    Options
    @janer1967 I hope so, it's a very stressful process 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,740 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rmcc Thanks for sharing an update with us about the PIP report.  It looks promising and I hope that is has, in some way, reduced your feelings of anxiety?  If you need us you know where we are, and we all have our fingers crossed for a positive outcome for you  :)

Take care and I hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• chiarieds
    Options
    Thank you for the update @rmcc - the decision maker does usually go with the assessor's report, & the points recommended certainly look positive. :)
  • rmcc
    Options
    Thank yous very much, I do feel less stressed I just need to wait on the decision now says up to 8 weeks so 2 down and 6 to go, this fourm has been great
  • rmcc
    Options
    Just an update that I received a payment from pip this morning and by the looks of the payment they have went with the assessment report for enhanced rate on both parts, just awaiting decision letter now. Thank you for all your advice on here guys 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    That's great news @rmcc :)
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.