respite care/ help at home day to day — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

respite care/ help at home day to day

Options
charlotte3104
charlotte3104 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity

I was wondering if you can help. I am a trying to find some help for myself at home with my son Freddie. He is 6.5 yrs old, not in school awaiting tribunal as ehcp need changing and no suitable school has been found, ASD (demand avoidant), ADHD, sensory processing disorder. Violent, on medication. I am really struggling to cope 24/7 with no support. I want to find someone suitably trained in his area of need with Freddie. Are there any Suitable agencies or contacts that could help me in this area ( I am finding myself cancelling my own health care appointments as cant leave him)  I need someone that understands how to help when he is violent and in melt down as well as help me look after him while I “try” and work or just to be able to leave the house for 30 mins me time. 

We are willing to pay for this I just cant find anything  

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @charlotte3401 and a warm welcome to our community.

I'm sorry things are difficult at the minute, it sounds like you have a lot to deal with and that must be really challenging.  How are you coping?  Scope have a free service called 'Navigate' which helps parents/carers of children under 18 who are on the pathway to a diagnosis.  Some of the things they can help with include:
    • organising your thoughts and feelings
    • practical advice and suggestions
    • coping strategies and insights
    • taking positive actions and helping you with emotional wellbeing
    So maybe give some thought to signing up via the link above :)

One thing to consider is referring yourself for a social care needs assessment via this government link.  This will determine what support is recommended for Freddie (gorgeous name by the way!) and whether you can access any help towards costs. 

Also, have you looked into recruiting a personal assistant (PA) or carer?  This Scope webpage on 'Childcare for a disabled child' has lots of information about how to get started with this and also details where to find trusted, approved carers/PA's.  While if you tell us roughly where you live, I'd be happy to do some researching too.  

Please let us know how you get on and I hope you get some rest and 'me-time' soon.  Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.