Recently had PIP telephone assessment + this month benefit cap not applied? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recently had PIP telephone assessment + this month benefit cap not applied?

Options
chelss
chelss Community member Posts: 20 Listener
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I applied for pip and had my telephone Assesment on the 11th of this month. I have been in receipt of universal credit and always been benefit capped however I’m due my iv on the 27th I’ve checked payments and I haven’t been benefit capped this month I’m confused, I have wrote a message on my journal but no reply sorry for the long post

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Possibly a PIP award has been made in which case benefit cap would not apply. Have you checked you bank account to see if you've received a PIP payment (they often arrive before the decision letter)?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chelss

Fingers crossed this is an indicator that you might have been successful with your PIP claim.  Make sure to have a look for that payment in your bank and keep us updated.

Also, I've tweaked the title of your thread to help others spot it who might be in a similar position.  Best wishes and good luck.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chelss
    Options
    Thankyou hopefully I wil have received it then iv checked my account this morning and nothing in it as of yet I put my claim in in February had telephone Assesment on 11th of may and dwp revived it back on the 14th so hopefully I wil recivee a good decision shortly , im just confused to as why all of a sudden benefit cap has stopped as I have always been capped . Thankyou for your replies will update you all 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chelss - as mentioned, if you receive PIP then the benefit cap doesn't apply. See the following for confirmation: https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap/when-youre-not-affected

• chelss
    Options
    Yes I understand it ain’t now just anxious awaiting the decision didn’t think they’d of dealt with it so soon as by threads on here it normally takes up to 8 weeks for a decision . Hopefully my postman brings me some good news . And thankyou al for you speedy replies 
  • chelss
    Options
    Hi spoke with pip I have been awarded the standard rate living and no mobilty which I am slightly shocked I didn’t didn’t seem a fair result to be honest but I suppose it’s better than no award . So looking forward to my back payments  in my account Wednesday they told me on the phone it was decided on the 20th so all in all I applied 9th of February telephone Assesment 11th of may , dwp texted to say the revived it on the 14th of may and payment issued for the 26th and my next payment will land 4 weeks later which will be a 4 weekly payment thanks for all your help and hope this post answers anyone else’s questions 
  • calcotti
    Options
    You can request a Mandatory Reconsideration if you consider that the award does not reflect the difficulties you have when assessed against the PIP descriptors. The award you have been given will continue to be made while the MR is being considered.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Please remember that you can submit a mandatory reconsideration if you don't feel as though this was a fair result @chelss. There is a risk that your award could be reduced, but it's worth looking into if you think you're entitled to more. 

Edit: hadn't refreshed the page, apologies @calcotti. Leaving my comment up in case you need the link @chelss :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • calcotti
    Options
    Tori_Scope said: Edit: hadn't refreshed the page, apologies @calcotti
    No need to apologise. Often happens to me too!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just to add that most decisions stay the same if doing a Mandatory Reconsideration, & would rarely be reduced, but can rather increase.
  • chelss
    Options
    Thankyou all for your help I will just leave it as it’s is incase they may want to reduce it I suppose something is better than nothing there’s many of people that can’t get anything and are worse off but once again thankyou 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As chiarieds said, it is rare @chelss. It's your choice though at the end of the day. Some people do decide it's not worth it. Are you okay with your income as it'll be with the standard rate daily living award? 

If you want, you could take a look over the PIP descriptors (pipinfo.net) to see if there are any points you think were missed in the initial assessment.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chelss
    Options
    I do seek advice but online advice from google etc n newspaper articles are not really something I can understand as it’s all very big words etc, I prefer to ask people’s opinion then go from their as these maybe people who have had similar experiences 
  • lou87
    lou87 Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    Options
    chelss said:
    Hi spoke with pip I have been awarded the standard rate living and no mobilty which I am slightly shocked I didn’t didn’t seem a fair result to be honest but I suppose it’s better than no award . So looking forward to my back payments  in my account Wednesday they told me on the phone it was decided on the 20th so all in all I applied 9th of February telephone Assesment 11th of may , dwp texted to say the revived it on the 14th of may and payment issued for the 26th and my next payment will land 4 weeks later which will be a 4 weekly payment thanks for all your help and hope this post answers anyone else’s questions 
    I had my telephone assessment on the 14th may I'm currently waiting I've received 2 text messages now saying they have received my assessors report I'm so anxious about it ?
    ?
  • chelss
    Options
    Ring them I know the feeling I rang and they told me over phone so I’m due the payment tomoz 
  • lou87
    lou87 Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    Options
    chelss said:
    Ring them I know the feeling I rang and they told me over phone so I’m due the payment tomoz 
    I rang on Monday and they told me it's with my case manager awaiting a decision and I would know the outcome within 2weeks there sending me a copy of the assessor report ? i hear some good news soon it's so disheartening when our bodies become so reliant on medication and limit the things we can do ? i feel so down some days especially so when I've had a bad flare up and I'm struggling i hate being so reliant upon other people I just hope i got my point across ? you have given me some home seeing you got a good response so soon well done xx
    ?
  • chelss
    Options
    Honesty it was so quick and a little award is better than no award after all I’d rather be pain free and b able to leave the house n live a normal life rather than money iv worked so hard al my life ... just hope you get a response soon and it is positive keep us updated good luck

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.