Overthinking of the future — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Overthinking of the future

Options
ssutton1998
ssutton1998 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
Hello everyone, my name is Sam im 23 years old and have cerebral palsy, im currently studying to be a teacher assistant level 2 at college and level 3 next year. My passion is to work as a teacher as an assistant for children in need full-time. I'm been overthinking that I won't get a job that I wanted to do due to GCSE maths and English where my grade is low and I have to serve learning difficulties and im very scared that I would not able to work as a TA it my passion I want to make a difference. All I want is that Job nothing else. If there any teaching assistants out there. Is true that you got to have a GCSE Maths and English in every school/college. That all I think about working as a Ta im very worried about my future. Thank you, to everyone taking their time to read.

Kind regards Sam

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ssutton1998 :) That's a great job choice!

You can read a little bit about the routes into being a TA on the National Careers Service website. This states that:
    You can get into this job through:
    • a college course
    • an apprenticeship
    • volunteering
    • applying directly
    College

You can take a college qualification to get started, for example:
    • Level 2 or 3 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
    • Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education
    • T level in Education and Childcare
    Entry requirements

You may need:
    • 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
    • 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
    • 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths for a T level
    Direct Application

You can apply directly for jobs through schools, local authorities and academy trusts. Each school sets its own entry requirements, though you'll usually need GCSEs grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) in English and maths.

You'll also need to show that you can work well with children, teachers and parents. A qualification in nursery work, childcare, playwork or youth work will give you an advantage.

I'm sure that your college TA qualification will be an advantage. Were there any entry requirements for this course? Have you spoken to the college about this?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • ssutton1998
    Options
    @Tori_Scope hi, there thank you for your help that has really made me feel alot better but only thing let me down where I got learning difficulties it hard me to get a grade 4 is possible get a job in TA without GCSE maths English but I got level 1 maths and English 
  • ssutton1998
    Options
    @Tori_Scope I spoken to my tutor he has put me down for level 3 next September so would this be enough 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    We've had a bit of a search online, and it does look as though you can go directly into some TA jobs without the Maths and English GCSEs, so long as you get your level 2 and 3 qualifications @ssutton1998. Some schools might still require those GCSEs, and I'm still not 100% clear on whether the level 2 and 3 qualifications will always override that. If you don't have the GCSEs, they might require you to do a functional skills test. Is that something you've heard of before?

Are you planning on working at a primary or secondary school? Secondary schools are more likely to require the Maths and English GCSEs. 

Experience is the most important thing. Are you completing any work placements, or volunteering at a school at the moment?

Did you do a literacy and numeracy test when you started the course? If not, you may have to do one when you start your level 3 qualification. See Barnsley College's website as an example. I'd encourage you to speak to your tutor about this if you have any concerns. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • ssutton1998
    Options
    @Tori_Scope that brilliant thank you so much for your help i can't thank you enough you have really made my day. I am looking for to work with SEN children/students

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.