Pip assessment report — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment report

Options
lou87
lou87 Community member Posts: 48 Connected
I received my pip assessment report today and I guess it wasn't what i was expecting to read ? there's a lot of contradictions in most questions... I understand pip is more about how your life is affected and your day to day issues but i just feel that I didn't explain myself very well possibly i haven't actually received my final decision yet my question is is a mandatory reconsideration hard to do yourself?? I have a few problems and some of the things i suffer badly with weren't mentioned sleeping problems the amount of toilet trips i have how my fatigue affects me.. I'd be grateful for some help thanks 
?

Comments

• saversam
    saversam Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Lou, sorry it wasn't what you hoped for
    Have you added the dots/ticks up on the report, to work out your points?
  • lou87
    Options
    saversam said:
    Hi yes I've done that well my friend helped i got 4 points for each so 8 points in total 4 for daily and 4 for mobility 
    ?
  • saversam
    Options
    lou87 said:
    saversam said:
    Hi yes I've done that well my friend helped i got 4 points for each so 8 points in total 4 for daily and 4 for mobility 

Ok. I,m sure Someone will come along and give you much more experienced advice than I can, but for now just wait until your award notice comes through,  it might not go with the assessor report. But if it does, there are loads of people on here who can help you, and "hold your hand" through MR. I,m sorry I can,t be anymore help. I just wanted you to know, I know how stressful this is for you, & that i,m rooting for you x
  • lou87
    Options
    saversam said:
    lou87 said:
    saversam said:

Ok. I,m sure Someone will come along and give you much more experienced advice than I can, but for now just wait until your award notice comes through,  it might not go with the assessor report. But if it does, there are loads of people on here who can help you, and "hold your hand" through MR. I,m sorry I can,t be anymore help. I just wanted you to know, I know how stressful this is for you, & that i,m rooting for you x
    Thank you for your kind words ? it means alot to me just knowing someone replied to me ? that's what I will do I've always worked and sadly I had to give up work just over 2yrs ago now I just don't think I've explained myself very well in my application but it's nothing that can't be fixed i can't write very well holding a pen so i guess i struggled through with minimal effort and only described my problems briefly ? the assessor has put some of my medication doses down wrong ?‍♀️ and said if there effective which she didn't ask me about i feel like it was all so rushed i wasn't prepared at all it didn't help my assessment being at 8am I'd barely slept not took my medication. I've just got to hold it out but i can use the time waiting for my decision letter to my advantage i guess just need a bit of help with that bit i guess. I hope you are having a good day?? X
    ?
  • saversam
    Options
    Your very welcome,  that's the great thing about this site and the people on it, there's always someone to help, advise or just listen. Have you had a look on the citizen advice website? ,  there really good as well, & might be able to help with form filling.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,702 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry it's not what you expected, usually the DWP decision maker goes with the report but not always, if you have to go for an MR it would be worth reading up on them as much as possible as you might have to wait a few weeks for the decision.
    Basically you would highlight where you didn't score points but think you should have, giving some real life examples of when you tried to do those things and what happened.

We are of course here if you need any further help.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh @lou87 - I'm so sorry that your assessment report isn't what you'd hoped for. I do understand about difficulty writing the PIP claim form, as I had problems with this too; in fact my son wrote mine up for me from notes I'd made & from what I said. I did a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR), which was easier as I typed it up, & printed it out. Would that be an option for you if needed?
    With a MR you just put your name & National Insurance number on each page, & just begin by saying you'd like them to look at your claim/decision again. Sleeping problems aren't really looked at with PIP, but if this impacts on your daily living it could be mentioned. Also with your toilet needs, it's not so much getting to the toilet, but how you manage once there. The impact of fatigue should be mentioned if it affects any of the daily living activities. Do let us know when you get your decision letter, as, if you need to do a MR, everyone here will of course help. :)
  • lou87
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I'm sorry it's not what you expected, usually the DWP decision maker goes with the report but not always, if you have to go for an MR it would be worth reading up on them as much as possible as you might have to wait a few weeks for the decision.
    Basically you would highlight where you didn't score points but think you should have, giving some real life examples of when you tried to do those things and what happened.

We are of course here if you need any further help.
    Yeah I'm not expecting a decision just yet. Just a bit disappointed i didn't get my point across i had a feeling this would happen ? its pretty sad really I don't understand how she could write I'm having no further treatment when i told her I was waiting to start physiotherapy see a dietitian waiting to go back to cbt therapy i think it's because alot of what she's put and the boxes she's ticked are contradicting themselves this is the first time I've tried to claim anything like this i can see why so many people leave it and don't bother. Its just a horrible experience i didn't get a nice vibe off the assessor i didn't like her phone manor at all 
    ?
  • lou87
    Options
    saversam said:
    Your very welcome,  that's the great thing about this site and the people on it, there's always someone to help, advise or just listen. Have you had a look on the citizen advice website? ,  there really good as well, & might be able to help with form filling.
    I was going to see how i go about getting an appointment with citizen advice bureau just wasn't sure if they were operating atm?? 
    ?
  • lou87
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Oh @lou87 - I'm so sorry that your assessment report isn't what you'd hoped for. I do understand about difficulty writing the PIP claim form, as I had problems with this too; in fact my son wrote mine up for me from notes I'd made & from what I said. I did a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR), which was easier as I typed it up, & printed it out. Would that be an option for you if needed?
    With a MR you just put your name & National Insurance number on each page, & just begin by saying you'd like them to look at your claim/decision again. Sleeping problems aren't really looked at with PIP, but if this impacts on your daily living it could be mentioned. Also with your toilet needs, it's not so much getting to the toilet, but how you manage once there. The impact of fatigue should be mentioned if it affects any of the daily living activities. Do let us know when you get your decision letter, as, if you need to do a MR, everyone here will of course help. :)
    You know what my 14yr old son has a gaming PC in his bedroom so i guess i could use that if he loaded it up for me it would probably be alot easier to type it all if I'm completely honest with you ? thanks for the idea ? the fatigue definitely affects my day to day life i have a bowel disease and I can be on the toilet for 30 minutes a time in alot of pain because I get bowel hypersensitivity it's horrible. Some mornings i can't get out of bed due to the cramping pain I don't know maybe pip just isn't what I thought it would be i get the lcwra element of universal credit and when I had my assessment for that it was so much easier face 2 face my friend come with me and helped me get my point across I've had a really rough few years and think the fact i don't take medication for my anxiety has gone against me ? it states in the report i don't take any i guess i need to get back in touch with my dr and actually reach out and discuss how I'm actually feeling inside during corona virus I've been ok because I haven't had any reason to leave my house all my appointments have been over the phone I'm sat here crying now talking about it because I have a fear of being judged because I'm a new mum
    ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry, no one has a wish to upset you. I think when we consider how difficult things can be, especially with going through the PIP 'process.' it's really difficult. The only downside of my son writing up my PIP claim form was when he said that he hadn't realised quite how badly I was affected.
    The fact you have such pain should definitely be mentioned. No one judges you as you're a new Mum; please don't cry. We're all here for you, & want to help. Sending a gentle hug.
  • lou87
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    I'm sorry, no one has a wish to upset you. I think when we consider how difficult things can be, especially with going through the PIP 'process.' it's really difficult. The only downside of my son writing up my PIP claim form was when he said that he hadn't realised quite how badly I was affected.
    The fact you have such pain should definitely be mentioned. No one judges you as you're a new Mum; please don't cry. We're all here for you, & want to help. Sending a gentle hug.
    Ive been thinking about it a lot more this afternoon since I filled my forms in things have got worse i never mentioned this ? I've got a nerve problem in my back from having my son i had a planned c-section and had a spinal block and its caused me to have pain in my back. My partner said the same thing he didn't realise how bad thing's actually we're until you put it down on paper. I just felt like I was judged for choosing to have a baby with my problems but I'm ok now I've had a good talk about my feelings and got it off my chest ?
    ?
  • lou87
    Options
    The thing about PIP HCP assessments is that they’re not done for you to get your point across. They’re done for the HCP to form a view via specific questions. 

Equally, getting worse post claim is not a good thing to assert. It’s a common mistake. You’re being assessed as to what you were like on your date of claim and nit what you were like afterwards. Telling DWP you’ve got worse will merely elicit an invite to make a separate claim for the later period.
    I've not got worse since my assessment i had a consultation with my pain consultant and I'm now having treatment for trapped nerve pain which they think is from my delivery of my son ? I think I probably need some help with the whole application because I wasn't prepared for my assessment i missed a few bits out like for instance she's wrote I've not got any future treatment which is completely untrue. I think I'm probably not eligible for pip then if what I suffer from doesn't really get asked about ? I presumed because I can't work because I'm unreliable from no fault of my own and the medication I take i thought all these were factors ? 
    ?
  • lou87
    Options
    Er, I didn’t say you’d got worse since your assessment. I said 
    getting worse post claim is not a good thing to assert.
    and that was after you specifically said
    lou87 said:
    since I filled my forms in things have got worse i never mentioned this

I come on here to ask for help because I'm struggling no need to make me feel this way i struggle with what I'm saying and explaining myself ?
    ?
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 573 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @lou87. I’m sorry your assessment didn’t get you the points that you thought you should have got. The whole assessment stuff is extremely stressful as it is. I’m waiting on their decision, so I know how difficult this procedure is. 
    I’m sure mikehughes didn’t mean mean to cause upset. It’s so easy to misinterpret something when we’re reading it back. A bit like a text. He’s a really helpful guy who knows his stuff, so would genuinely only be trying to point you in the right direction.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @lou87 I'm sorry the report's indicating the decision hasn't gone your way.  Try not to panic just yet.  The decision maker may not go with this, but if they do support is available.  You can find free local welfare advice via the Advice Local website - just type in your postcode and select Welfare benefits from the drop down list, then on the next screen a list of organisations will show.  While, we'd also be happy to offer virtual support if you decide to pursue a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR).  If you want to start reading up on MR's you can visit Scope's 'Challenging a DWP decision webpage or the Citizens Advice 'Challenging a PIP decision' webpage.  

Just to echo @Leigh14 - Mike was highlighting how discussing a deterioration in your impairment could prompt an invitation to submit a new claim.  Sometimes we can misread tone when communications are text-based and the intent of everyone on this thread is to help.  

Also, there's no need to fear being judged :)  Choosing to have a baby was your personal right, and uppermost no-one else's business.  I understand the personal challenges you face because I have Crohn's disease and am expecting, however being disabled doesn't factor into how good a parent someone will be.  I am sure you are a loving, caring mum who always does her best.  Be kind to yourself.  

I hope you have a good day today and you know where we are if you need any advice.  Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 573 Pioneering
    Options
    @Cher_Scope, congratulations on your pregnancy. When are you due?xx
  • lou87
    Options
    I think I've probably miss understood pip massively or I've not given enough evidence in my answers on my questionnaire what i meant was I've started 2 new medications since i have filled in my pip questionnaire and haven't explained myself very well when i had my assessment it's all new to me you see I've never tried to apply for anything like this before and I did it on my own with no outside help which was probably my downfall i guess ? I've been suffering for the past 2 years with very little support sadly and kinda just got on with it as best as i could. I do struggle to explain myself at times and this is my downfall. I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens next that's all i can do for the moment I am pretty confident that i will be entitled to pip if the forms etc were filled in correctly. Thanks for your advice it's very much appreciated ?
    ?
  • lou87
    Options
    @lou87 I'm sorry the report's indicating the decision hasn't gone your way.  Try not to panic just yet.  The decision maker may not go with this, but if they do support is available.  You can find free local welfare advice via the Advice Local website - just type in your postcode and select Welfare benefits from the drop down list, then on the next screen a list of organisations will show.  While, we'd also be happy to offer virtual support if you decide to pursue a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR).  If you want to start reading up on MR's you can visit Scope's 'Challenging a DWP decision webpage or the Citizens Advice 'Challenging a PIP decision' webpage.  

Just to echo @Leigh14 - Mike was highlighting how discussing a deterioration in your impairment could prompt an invitation to submit a new claim.  Sometimes we can misread tone when communications are text-based and the intent of everyone on this thread is to help.  

Also, there's no need to fear being judged :)  Choosing to have a baby was your personal right, and uppermost no-one else's business.  I understand the personal challenges you face because I have Crohn's disease and am expecting, however being disabled doesn't factor into how good a parent someone will be.  I am sure you are a loving, caring mum who always does her best.  Be kind to yourself.  

I hope you have a good day today and you know where we are if you need any advice.  Take care.
    How has pregnancy affected your crohns?? I had hyperemesis from 3wks i was still being sick the day i had my c-section but my bowel problems were going really well until about 3 months after i had him. I lost 2.5 stone during my pregnancy it was so hard but worth it i had an advanced midwife and a consultant they were both amazing and monthly scans and appointments the hardest part was attending my scans alone because of corona virus. I was admitted into hospital at 36wks and 37wks i was worried about having my c-section bought earlier x 
    ?
  • lou87
    Options

Hi I've just looked on advice local and I think it might be welfare rights i get in touch with isn't it? There's actually nothing in my local community but there is in the next big town x I know there's usually support available a hub at the food bank but I'm not sure if things like that are open again for face 2 face appointment.
    ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.