Favorite audiobooks — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Favorite audiobooks

Sofia_goncalves
Sofia_goncalves Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hey guys, I love to listen to stories out loud so I'm a sucker for good audiobooks. Do you have any audiobook recommendations? 
I'm curious to see what are your favorite ones  :)
Mine are the audiobook for Circe by Madeline Miller and the hunger games trilogy narrated by Tatiana Maslany. Sapiens by Noah Harari is also a really good listen. 

Comments

• Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,414

Scope community team

Hello @Sofia_goncalves

Sadly, I've not actually listened to any audiobooks before!  I'm more of a podcast kinda person - do you happen to like those?  Recently we had a thread on 'Audio book recommendations' that you might want to take a look at :)  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Bob the Street cat are great.

You feel you are there.
  • lou87
    lou87 Member Posts: 48 Connected
    Hello @Sofia_goncalves

Sadly, I've not actually listened to any audiobooks before!  I'm more of a podcast kinda person - do you happen to like those?  Recently we had a thread on 'Audio book recommendations' that you might want to take a look at :)  
    I was on about podcasts yesterday my dr recommended them to me. Do you use spotify? Or a different app or website? I know nothing about finding them 😂 but definitely interested am i right in thinking I'd be able to listen to them on Amazon Alexa speakers??
    💜
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 5,974

Scope community team

There are lots of ways to listen to podcasts @lou87. I don't have one myself, but I believe you can use your Alexa device to listen to podcasts either through Amazon Music, or another platform like Spotify. You can read more on this article from The Ambient

You can also listen from your computer or smartphone if you have one. There are lots of options out there now, both free and on paid subscription, so you should be able to get something set up :) Do you have a specific podcast or podcast genre in mind? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • lou87
    lou87 Member Posts: 48 Connected
    There are lots of ways to listen to podcasts @lou87. I don't have one myself, but I believe you can use your Alexa device to listen to podcasts either through Amazon Music, or another platform like Spotify. You can read more on this article from The Ambient

You can also listen from your computer or smartphone if you have one. There are lots of options out there now, both free and on paid subscription, so you should be able to get something set up :) Do you have a specific podcast or podcast genre in mind? 
    I did want to listen to the doctor's kitchen i think it is and something to do with thinking to help me process my thoughts and feelings better. I do have Amazon speakers in every room of my house i don't personally have a computer but my son does, I do have a laptop somewhere so i could dust that off and have a look my partner has a spotify subscription and I get Amazon music free with my Amazon prime i think il have to have a look into it tomorrow will give me something to do 😊 

My doctor recommended them to me after I had a miscarriage because I was struggling with my feelings that was a good while ago now I was going to get one of the apps you pay for but they can work out super expensive over a length of time sadly 
    💜
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 5,974

Scope community team

Yes, I'm sure you could get that set up on your Alexa device @lou87- a fun Friday job :) 

I did a quick search and it looks as though The Doctor's Kitchen Podcast is available on both Amazon Music and Spotify, as well as a few other platforms, so you should be able to listen to that one. There are lots of mindfulness, wellbeing, and mental health focused podcasts out there so I'm sure you'll find plenty to sink your teeth ears into.

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Lots of people find podcasts a welcome distraction, as well as a useful source of information and advice. 

Yes, they can work out as quite expensive but there are lots of podcasts available for free so they should hopefully be more accessible for you.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.