I might have to stop working due to my mental health. Could I get LCWRA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I might have to stop working due to my mental health. Could I get LCWRA?

Nonsense123
Nonsense123 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited May 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi so I am currently working and full time, I am not eligible for UC of course but I am seriously thinking about quitting my job because I am struggling mentally, the stress of my job is quite a lot. I don't really know what my sort of entitlement would be, is there any sort of extra payment for people struggling with Mental Health as I wouldn't want to go back to work straight away and the £400 initial payment is obviously not enough to live on. I read about LCWRA being an extra payment of £300 odd per month which seems quite a lot (will be earning more than someone in a part time job with the £400+£300 odd?) however I'm not sure if this LCWRA is just for people with severe disabilities?

Thanks 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Lcwra is £343 per month extra it 8s for people unable to work in any job due to their medical condition 

You need to report the condition and provide fit notes , you will then be sent forms to complete then have an assessment with health care provider 

You also if awarded don't get any payments for first 3 months 

The whole process can take about 6 months to complete 

Any further questions just ask 

You may be eligible for new style esa if you have paid enough ni   again You need to go through work capability process 
  • Nonsense123
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

Lcwra is £343 per month extra it 8s for people unable to work in any job due to their medical condition 

You need to report the condition and provide fit notes , you will then be sent forms to complete then have an assessment with health care provider 

You also if awarded don't get any payments for first 3 months 

The whole process can take about 6 months to complete 

Any further questions just ask 

You may be eligible for new style esa if you have paid enough ni   again You need to go through work capability process 
    Hi,

Thanks, would this be eligible for someone with mental health capabilities though? 

I am not so sure I would, but yes I think I might be eligible for new style esa, I have been working around 10 years paying into NI with a salary above average (not sure if that matters)
  • janer1967
    Hi again

Lcwra covers any condition which prevents you from being unable to work mental or physical among ad they assess you as being unable to work 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hello and welcome to the community @Nonsense123 :) 

Have you asked for reasonable adjustments (Scope website) at work? I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. Are you receiving any support for your mental health at the moment?

If you decide to stop working, you might like to read this page on the Mental Health and Money Advice Service about how to claim UC with a mental health condition. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Nonsense123
    Hello and welcome to the community @Nonsense123 :) 

Have you asked for reasonable adjustments (Scope website) at work? I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. Are you receiving any support for your mental health at the moment?

If you decide to stop working, you might like to read this page on the Mental Health and Money Advice Service about how to claim UC with a mental health condition. 

Hi no I haven’t and I probably won’t because last time I mentioned to an employer I had a mental health condition I was subsequently made redundant. So probably not a good idea incase it happens again 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Nonsense123 said:...because last time I mentioned to an employer I had a mental health condition I was subsequently made redundant. So probably not a good idea incase it happens again 
    But if you are thinking of quitting anyway surely being made redundant wouldn’t be a problem.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Nonsense123
    calcotti said:
    Nonsense123 said:...because last time I mentioned to an employer I had a mental health condition I was subsequently made redundant. So probably not a good idea incase it happens again 
    But if you are thinking of quitting anyway surely being made redundant wouldn’t be a problem.
    I would rather quit than be made redundant. That’s in my control at least 
  • janer1967
    At least being made redundant gives financial compensation and looks better as a reason for leaving 

Also for eligibility to benefits 

• Nonsense123
    janer1967 said:
    At least being made redundant gives financial compensation and looks better as a reason for leaving 

I work in the public sector -NHS, I very much doubt it. 
  • calcotti
    janer1967 said:

Your rights will depend on how long you have been in your job.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Nonsense123
    calcotti said:
    janer1967 said:

Statutory redundancy my friend 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    calcotti said:
    janer1967 said:

But only if they have been employed continuously for at least 2 years - which is why I said rights depend on how long they have been employed.
    https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay
  • Nonsense123
    edited May 2021
    calcotti said:
    calcotti said:
    janer1967 said:

But only if they have been employed continuously for at least 2 years - which is why I said rights depend on how long they have been employed.
    https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay
    Statutory redundancy pay is a joke. I guess I’ll keep on working and paying a (Removed by moderator, profanity) load of tax and NI to pay for someone else’s benefits while I’m struggling myself :) 

I guess life isn’t fair though 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi @Nonsense123

I just wanted to let you know that in accordance with our community guidelines I have edited part of your most recent comment for containing profanity. 

I'm sorry to hear of your current situation, but I hope that you've found some of the advice from other members helpful. 

Do you currently receive any support from your GP to manage your mental health?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.