Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Give Them Wings - can you relate to Paul's story?
Today we hear from Paul Hodgson whose life story, based on growing up with cerebral palsy like symptoms, has been the inspiration for an award-winning film.Read on and watch the trailer to get insight into Paul's life as a young disabled man in Northern England in the 1960/70's.
Paul's storyHi, my name is Paul; I’m from Darlington in County Durham. In 1965 I contracted meningitis. It affected my brain and spinal cord leaving me with cerebral-palsy like symptoms.
For most of my life I have been a wheelchair user and with this in mind, I decided to write my autobiography in order to challenge the stereotype of the wheelchair-bound victim.
The book also ties in with the release this summer of a major film based on my life, also entitled Give Them Wings and starring Daniel Watson as yours truly and Toyah Wilcox as my mum. The film has already won ‘Best Feature’ at the London Independent Film Festival.
Meningitis left me physically disabled and with an acute speech impediment.
During my early years, not only did I have great difficulty in making myself understood, I was so uncoordinated that I had to be propped up against a wall with cushions, like Christy Brown in My Left Foot. Although I do have some movement in my legs, since the age of four I’ve been a wheelchair user.
Looking back over my life, I've had many battles, with determination, I’ve always overcome these and I’ve tried to have a smile on my face. I think that as long as people with disabilities, and indeed people in general, remember this, they won't go far wrong in life.
Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Over to you:
- Can you relate to Paul's experience of growing up with an impairment in the 1960/70's? Are the prejudicial attitudes something you've faced too?
- What were your feelings after watching the trailer?
- Do you have any words you'd like to pass onto Paul?
Want to tell us about your experience on the online community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
- All Categories
- 12.9K Start here and say hello!
- 6.6K Coffee lounge
- 42 Games room
- 428 Cost of living
- 4.4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 208 Community updates
- 9.2K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.5K Work and employment
- 785 Education
- 1.6K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 612 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 370 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 758 Transport and travel
- 30.4K Talk about money
- 4.3K Benefits and financial support
- 5.1K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 857 Chronic pain and pain management
- 160 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.2K Mental health and wellbeing
- 322 Sensory impairments
- 819 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions