Blue badge renewal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge renewal

Options
ash5896
ash5896 Community member Posts: 148 Pioneering
edited May 2021 in Transport and travel
My current badge expires next week. I made an application for my renewal in early April. An acknowledgment was received in May. A few days later I was asked for more information regarding my points as the letter I provided was not dated within the last 12 months even though my previous award letter showed my award was until 2028.
I called today and have been told that it could take another 4 weeks. None of this has been my fault and when I called the council today I asked if I can use my badge I was told no and I could be prosecuted for using an expired badge. I have 2 hospital appointments within the next 3 weeks and I’ve been told I can’t use it on the streets either so basically that means I can’t go out and about. I know some would say I can park elsewhere but unfortunately my mobility won’t allow me to walk very far at all. So do I pay the parking penalties or just stay in and cancel my appointments till I get my replacement badge. 
Ash 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As far as I know parking at hospitals is still free, maybe you could get there really early and find a good parking space?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    woodbine said:
    As far as I know parking at hospitals is still free, maybe you could get there really early and find a good parking space?
    In England most hospitals charge for parking (if you can find any) with limited exceptions.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I don’t think I’ve ever come across a hospital that doesn’t charge. 
  • ash5896
    Options
    Our hospital charges for disabled parking too I think it might be easier to get a taxi. 
    Ash 
  • calcotti
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have car park charging in some hospitals in wales 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Disabled spots are charged at 2 20 as long as you are displaying your badge 
  • calcotti
    Options
    We have car park charging in some hospitals in wales 
    I thought car parking charges were abolished for NHS hospital in Wales back in 2018. Didn’t know they’d brought them back in.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45347166
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @ash5896 Would it be worth calling your hospital in advance to clarify if the disabled parking spots are free?  Failing that, your GP/health-care professional might be able to arrange some non-emergency patient transport to pick you up?  Visit this NHS webpage that outlines how to access transport services/get reimbursed transport costs.  

Please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Not all hospitals charge but some still do which is annoying 
  • ash5896
    Options
    I will call the hospital on Monday but I can’t park in a normal bay as I need the space to get in and out. It might be worth just getting a taxi. I mean I applied in the beginning of April for my renewal and I’ve had a blue badge since 2005 and every renewal the council make it difficult. They want the award letter showing the points and it must be dated within the last 12 months. I’m dreading going to other places and having to park away from disabled bays will be really difficult. You would’ve thought with all the tech that councils could easily verify the award saving this sort of hassle. 
    Ash 
  • calcotti
    Options
    You can always ring DWP and they will issue you a letter confirming your benefit award that you can use for Blue Badge renewal.
  • ash5896
    Options
    It’s just a nightmare. Considering I applied in April for the renewal and my current badge expires on June 6th it was more than enough time I would’ve thought. 
    Ash 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    @bekindalways my statement was in reply to woodbine and not the OP, that’s why I quoted him. 

Where did I claim that anyone lived in a specific location? 

I don’t have to pay either actually, don’t make assumptions. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,668 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Would it be worth displaying your expired badge as normal, perhaps with a short explanation on a piece of paper? If you got a ticket, appeal it; and if it went to court, see them there. I’d think it was very unlikely a court would rule against you and would be very very bad publicity if they did?
  • ash5896
    Options
    I didn’t thank of that but it sounds like a good idea
    Ash 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    I tried to use an expired badge and still got fined  for not paying 
  • calcotti
    Options
    ash5896 said:
    I didn’t thank of that but it sounds like a good idea
    Sounds like a very bad idea to me. If you try it, you should expect to get fined as Lisa says.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    My fine was 100.00  because I was displaying an out of date badge  and parked in a disabled spot without a valid blue badge  but it was my own fault the irony was I was going in to  get my blue badge renewed  it was only one day out I thought I would be ok 

• ash5896
    Options
    Yeah this is the thing I applied in April and it’s still not done this is what I’m trying to say it’s taken so long 
    Ash 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.