What would you like to achieve - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What would you like to achieve

Options
2»

Comments

• adamskis
    adamskis Community member Posts: 67 Pioneering
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    @adamskis hi ya, it's electronic at moment, m sat editing as I respond. I had some1 read it and she said it was great, but I knew at the time it needed lots of editing, so I need a good proof reader to get that total  honesty.
    Happy to help, and sign an NDA.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,016 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Ohhh can you email me more info costs etc as well. @adamskis
  • adamskis
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Ohhh can you email me more info costs etc as well. @adamskis
    I would be happy to do it FOC, with grammatical assistance/opinion fro my teacher wife.
    non disclosure agreements were very much a staple of my former life, so I have drafts available to use.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @adamskis

Thanks for the message. I really appreciate it.

I can relate to hiding the issues with drink, although not so much these days. I think I'd be lying if I said drinking doesn't help but it's just that I've found that there are better solutions out there.

What did you used to do that necessitated driving that many miles a year? :o I can only guess lorry driver or some kind of business person?

Thanks for the positive vibes :)
  • adamskis
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @adamskis

I can relate to hiding the issues with drink, although not so much these days. I think I'd be lying if I said drinking doesn't help but it's just that I've found that there are better solutions out there.

What did you used to do that necessitated driving that many miles a year? :o I can only guess lorry driver or some kind of business person?

I was a Sales Manager, National, and European. I could easily do a trip of 1100-1400 each way, one time I drove back from Italy, got home, slept for five hours, then drove up to Inverness…red bull powered!

The worst part of it was when I arrived at a meeting, I had to look as though I had just driven from round the corner.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    adamskis said:
    66Mustang said:
    @adamskis

I was a Sales Manager, National, and European. I could easily do a trip of 1100-1400 each way, one time I drove back from Italy, got home, slept for five hours, then drove up to Inverness…red bull powered!

The worst part of it was when I arrived at a meeting, I had to look as though I had just driven from round the corner.
    Wow!!!

I hope you got a decent company car!

I love driving myself on the single carriageway roads but just have my obsessive thoughts on busy motorways sadly.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang I have had interfering thoughts, perhaps we all do, and I found that by fearing having them only made it worse in both frequency and severity. So I decided to not pay them any attention and thus by depriving them of energy they either dissipated or did so quicker. 

Another way i found which helped was by repeating the phrase “stop, look, listen” whenever I had such an interfering thought. Stop, look around you, listen to any background noise whatsoever, in other words pay attention to your environment, the phrase gives a moments pause and tends to break up the interfering thought process dead in its tracks. 

Just a couple of thoughts on the subject. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• adamskis
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    adamskis said:
    66Mustang said:
    @adamskis

Wow!!!

I hope you got a decent company car!

I love driving myself on the single carriageway roads but just have my obsessive thoughts on busy motorways sadly.
    Ohhh yes!

X3/m535/E AMG/ all sorts of fun stuff!
    After 600km on the same Autoroute, everyone’s mind does terrible things!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thank you for the comments @leeCal

I don't know if you know the nature of my obsessive thoughts but just a quick explanation. I basically am worried about losing control in a given situation and doing something I don't want to do. For example when cutting with a knife I am worried I am going to hurt myself on purpose. The best way to describe the thoughts is this: if you gave me a button and told me not to press it I'd be worried about pressing it but if you told me it doesn't matter if I press it I could just ignore it and not worry about it :D 

I really don't know if others have these thoughts but with the amount of traffic I see on the motorway I'm guessing most people are just able to get on with the task in hand which is something I don't seem to be able to do. It's been 27 years and not found a solution yet but trying not to lose hope. :)

I'm not trying to dismiss your comments, I really appreciate them. :) 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lovely thread.  My goals are this moment are to remain healthy, help other people where I can and be a good mum  <3

@66Mustang I know you've had these thoughts for some time and can only imagine how challenging/tiring they are to manage.  Although it might not be much consolation, I think you are doing brilliantly.  You are actively working on overcoming them and have kept safe, while being a beacon of support for others on our community.  I once went through a phase of having somewhat comparable thoughts and when speaking to others, found that it was more common than I expected.  Unfortunately, it has that taboo of being a difficult conversation to have so thank you for being so open and honest with us.  We are all rooting for you and I'm looking forward to seeing where your educational journey takes you.  

Incase you, or anyone else for that fact, wants to speak to someone about unsettling thoughts.  Please remember to visit your GP or contact one of the following organisations: 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • adamskis
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Thank you for the comments @leeCal

I don't know if you know the nature of my obsessive thoughts but just a quick explanation. I basically am worried about losing control in a given situation and doing something I don't want to do. For example when cutting with a knife I am worried I am going to hurt myself on purpose. The best way to describe the thoughts is this: if you gave me a button and told me not to press it I'd be worried about pressing it but if you told me it doesn't matter if I press it I could just ignore it and not worry about it :D 

I really don't know if others have these thoughts but with the amount of traffic I see on the motorway I'm guessing most people are just able to get on with the task in hand which is something I don't seem to be able to do. It's been 27 years and not found a solution yet but trying not to lose hope. :)

I'm not trying to dismiss your comments, I really appreciate them. :) 
    I fully understand this.
    I used to sit wondering if I should just drive into a motorway bridge as fast as I could, I knew it would be very fast, but very, very messy, which in all honesty was the only reason not to do it some days.

I was a first responder, and had attended a collision with a combined speed of 200mph plus. I was trying to find a pulse in red mush, but I still tried, and I wouldn’t want someone else to have the nightmares that I did after that.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thank you @Cher_Scope and @adamskis for the kind messages. They mean a lot to me and really help.
  • adamskis
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Thank you @Cher_Scope and @adamskis for the kind messages. They mean a lot to me and really help.
    Just remember, you are never judged in this forum, supported, helped, and encouraged, but not judged, I think we have ALL had enough of that!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.