Is the sunflower lanyard scheme dead in the water? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is the sunflower lanyard scheme dead in the water?

MrFooseball20
MrFooseball20 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
During the pandemic there have been cases where the sunflower lanyard scheme has been subject to abuse, given the fact that I was subject to 2 incidents where I was assaulted because people thought I was faking my disabilities and using the sunflower lanyard as an excuse not to mask up, do disabled people feel the sunflower lanyard scheme is dead in the water?

Is the sunflower lanyard scheme dead in the water? 9 votes

Yes
55% 5 votes
No
22% 2 votes
Maybe
22% 2 votes

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    I don't think the scheme has had the desired impact, but I know of many people who have found it to be a positive particularly in places like supermarkets, I've tried to get hold of one myself but sadly our supermarket doesn't support the scheme (lack of uptake being another problem I think). 

I'm sorry to hear about what you went through @MrFooseball20, I asked on another thread but I will do here as well, were those incidents reported at all? Did you receive any support to recover?

I think as ever, a lack of understanding from certain members of the public doesn't help, these sorts of situations can happen with other forms of sign or other aid that identifies a disabled person, which is of course terrible.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    @Ross_Scope you are aware regardless of supermarket recognition etc you can buy them direct from the hidden disabilities website? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think I've ever seen one being used - so either they aren't used much, or they aren't noticeable enough to be worthwhile. 

Pre-Covid I occasionally tried the quiet hour at Morrisons (not sure if that still happens as it's too far for me now) and don't remember seeing any then either.  It didn't work for me, as it only took one kid having a screaming meltdown to ruin it as I can't stand that sort of noise myself.  I guess the point there is, you can't suit everyone in a public area, no matter how hard you try.  So I'm not sure the lanyards could ever be that effective.  Ideally we'd all be more accommodating and accepting of other peoples differences...

I'm probably an ideal candidate for the scheme as I can't speak to people in public and get in a shaky, panicky mess at the till etc.  But I'm not sure what difference the lanyard can actually make in a supermarket?  Are the till staff going to be sighing and rolling their eyes if you're a bit slow?  Or will the floor staff refuse to pick something from a low shelf if you can't bend?  

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    MarkN88 said:
    @Ross_Scope you are aware regardless of supermarket recognition etc you can buy them direct from the hidden disabilities website? 
    Yes, that is what I was told when requesting one from the supermarket, though I keep forgetting the name of the website because I didn't write it down :) Thank you
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    The lanyards are like smelly fish around here!  
    I might get one for my daughter when holidays abroad can resume as her OCD is huge problem in Airport security and this could help 
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    All about respect.

Some store security and other places think you are trying it on and insist on a mask, no matter what.

Few other places are very kind and considerate (even one place, tying a ribbon on your basket so not troubled by other staff)

(One place said I wouldn’t let you in my house unmasked so your not coming in here, without one)
  • griff11
    Genuine question but why can't people wear masks for duration of shopping trip.  My husband told to shield due to asthma but he wears a mask.  Where I live it's women in 30s who are mainly unmasked.   I'm quite chilled about mask wearing as I'm not convinced they work as most people reuse and wear under nose /chin 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @griff11 if somebody was assisting a deaf person who can only lip read do the shopping they obviously can't wear a mask 

Also some people who have trauma die to being gagged or something could cause panic attacks 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I always wear a mask when I am out or in work the bit I don't understand is we wear a mask so that we can't pass it on  not to stop us catching it ??

I still caught a cold though ?

And I still got corona virus ?

• griff11
    I managed to catch a cold during full lockdown and staying home and having deliveries as my hubby was shielding !  My daughter & partner living her and they were working from home & isolating too !  Only I had the cold !!  Strange 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.