Fantasising A Better Life — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fantasising A Better Life

oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
Fantasising  A Better Life

Firstly I am embarrassed to talk about this.
I feel I need to grow up and face reality.

I have for over forty years suffered mild anxiety, although it can rule my life.
I was talking to someone who suffered anxiety  some time ago. And they was explaining certain scenarios. I thought I have been having these moments since I was a child.

Anyhow.. is this OK to think like this.

I have no car, I sold it some years ago. Now I use public transport. I have only had to pay for a taxi three times because of being stranded by no bus service.
On the odd occasion I am waiting for the bus and its raining heavy, I am getting soaked. 
I just wish I could turn around and in front of me is this door which leads into a small caravan. 
Inside this caravan it is spartan. No real luxuries. Just a bed, a change of clothes. Water for drinking etc.
But this is my safe place where I can de-stress. Chill out, or get out of certain scenarios.
Or...
I walk inside this caravan. I turn around again to walk out, but I am in Australia, or Greece.
In the sun on the beach. 
Whilst I am in sunnier climes my Arthritis is none existent. I can move around freely.

Is it normal to think/wish this would happen?

I feel a bit of a plum asking this..thank you.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome 

There is nothing wrong in having a safe place in your thoughts to help you in anxious situations 

Lots 8f 9eopke have their happy place yo go to when times are tough and you just want to see nice things for a while to take your mind off reality 

If you have concerns speak to your gp
  • glow
    glow Community member, Scope Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Evening Oldgrumpy, I feel this shows your great creativity and escapism.  Reality really sucks right now so I wish I did the same because I just feel ever so sorry for my self for far to many hours of the day.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @oldngrumpy

Thank you for speaking so honestly about how you feel, you have nothing to be embarrassed about whatsoever and it's a great thing that you are speaking about it. Anxiety impacts so many people so you're definitely not alone. 

It can be common for anxiety to feel as though it's controlling your life, or preventing you from doing things, but it's importat to recognise the super work you do to manage it, and seeking help is one of the ways of doing that. Is your GP aware of your anxiety? Do you receive any support for it? 

You might find this TedTalks on YouTube comforting, it talks about the subject of anxiety and offers some useful coping techniques and mindsets.  And you can find some self-care tips for anxiety from Mind here.

Do you have any hobbies or interests that help to take your mind off of your anxiety?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Thank you for your attention 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi ya @oldngrumpy just do what works for you. Regardless of what anyone may think about it, 
    I have found with anxiety, distraction works well.
  • Wanderlust
    Wanderlust Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I relate to a lot of what you wrote. I fantasise regularly about how different my life could have been had I not had the issues I happen to have

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.