Universal credit Back dated? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit Back dated?

Options
Aiiiiidy
Aiiiiidy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited May 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I applied for universal credit on the 28th of april and my doctor gave me a sick note to cover from the 28th of march, i’m due paid on the 4th of june. will they automatically pay me from the 28th of march? i’m new to this so i have absolutely no idea. any help is appreciated! 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Automatically pay you what ,? 

You will only get normal uc payment 

To get extra you need to go through work capability process and that can take about 6 months 

If you then got awarded lcwra you would get extra payment from 4 months after you reported a medical condition.

Did you report a condition  when you applied 
  • Aiiiiidy
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Automatically pay you what ,? 

You will only get normal uc payment 

To get extra you need to go through work capability process and that can take about 6 months 

If you then got awarded lcwra you would get extra payment from 4 months after you reported a medical condition.

Did you report a condition  when you applied 
    i have severe anxiety and depression, i just wasn’t sure if they back dated payment or not 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Back dared what payment ? 
  • Aiiiiidy
    Options
    do they pay you from the date you apply or from the date they assess you? i’m currently getting £344 a month but i’m just wondering if they’ll pay me from my claim date, this will be my first payment 
  • janer1967
    Options
    As explained above you will only get what you are getting now until the assessment has been done and decision made which could take months 

Then if you are awarded lcwra arrears will be paid to 4 months after you applied so you would be looking at August maybe July if they take note if backdated fit note 

If the assessment process isn't complete by then you will get any arrears due 

Eg if a decision wasn't made until Oct you will get your first payment in Oct and arrears as a seperate payment 

Hope you understand you won't get anything extra for long time and then only if you get awarded 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Aiiiiidy said:
    do they pay you from the date you apply or from the date they assess you? i’m currently getting £344 a month but i’m just wondering if they’ll pay me from my claim date, this will be my first payment 
    You have to go through a Work Capability Assessment to find out if you will be entitled to any extra money due to ill health. If you are found to have Limited Capability for Work and a Work Related Activity you will be entitled to extra money payable from the fourth payment after you first reported the health condition supported by a Fit Note.

You will not be paid anything for a period prior to the date you claimed UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Aiiiiidy
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Aiiiiidy said:
    You have to go through a Work Capability Assessment to find out if you will be entitled to any extra money due to ill health. If you are found to have Limited Capability for Work and a Work Related Activity you will be entitled to extra money payable from the fourth payment after you first reported the health condition supported by a Fit Note.

You will not be paid anything for a period prior to the date you claimed UC.
    thank you, will i have to apply for the assessment or will they automatically contact me via universal credit? i’m so new to all of this sorry if i’m coming across a bit stupid haha 
  • Aiiiiidy
    Options
    i had a questionnaire sent to me asking if i was fit for work, is that the same thing? 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Your work coach should refer you after supplying fit notes for more than 28 days 

You may need to prompt them

You will then be sent uc50 form to complete about your health and how it affects you 

Then an assessment with health care provider,  who sends report to dwp who will then make a decision 
  • janer1967
    Options
    Yes if it was uc50 form 
  • Aiiiiidy
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Your work coach should refer you after supplying fit notes for more than 28 days 

You may need to prompt them

You will then be sent uc50 form to complete about your health and how it affects you 

Then an assessment with health care provider,  who sends report to dwp who will then make a decision 
    thank you it makes sense now, i received and filled out the form and haven’t heard anything since, it’s all a bit confusing at first! thank you for your help 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Now that you have sent off the UC50 you just have to wait until contacted for an assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.